Revision date 19 July... ? on Greek Yoghurt and Cottage Cheese

Kazzy2
on 7/5/16 12:51 pm

Hi all,

I am coming up to my Band to Bypass on 19 July - excited - scared - nervous all at once!

I have a question I see a lot of people eat greek yoghurt and cottage cheese in their puree stage, I struggle to eat both of these, will this change after surgery?  (Taste change?)  Also do you add anything to these to make them more palatable?  I know they are both good protein options so would like to add them in to my shopping list.... I am in NZ and we don't seem to have all the fab sugar free syrups etc that you do in the US...

Thanks for any suggestions!

Kazzy2

(deactivated member)
on 7/6/16 1:22 pm

Pureed fruit can easily be stirred into those two options and that was my "go to" for a while.  You can use baby food if you don't want the work of making your own puree. You can add any savory flavor that appeals. A little squirt of drink mix in whatever flavor is available to you. If you don't like the texture of cottage cheese then you can put it your blender or food processor. Good luck to you.

Kazzy2
on 7/6/16 8:41 pm

Hi PonderosaQ

Thanks for your reply, I am going to have to get inventive I think so thank you for your suggestions.  So can I add puree fruit being natural sugar and not risk a dumping episode?  (If I dump)

I think you are right it is that lumpy consistency I cannot get past with Cottage cheese, I will try blending it and see how I go.  

Thanks so much

Kazzy2

pegag
on 7/6/16 3:21 pm

Good luck on your surgery.  As far as the yogurt and cottage cheese...  I love to mix them together.  I usually get a fruit flavor yogurt.  They have very good protein. I have to get 90 grams a day, so they are on my daily schedule.

Kazzy2
on 7/6/16 8:43 pm

Thanks Pegag - getting a bit nervous and over planning which is what I do when anxious about something..

I suppose over planning is better then under planing it!  

I find any fruit greek yoghurts here tend to be high in sugar/carbs... we just do not have the range available in NZ... Will make a few trips round the various supermarkets on the weekend to see what is available...

:0)

pegag
on 7/6/16 9:46 pm

have you tried regular yogurt?  that is what i use. 

Kazzy2
on 7/15/16 4:37 pm

Thanks pegag I am going to get some if I can find one low in sugar and fat this weekend... 

Picture me in the cold aisle of the supermarket for half an hour reading all the labels!

:0)

pegag
on 7/16/16 10:55 pm

Good luck!  I'll keep you in my prayers.  I don't know if you have an Aldi's near you or not.  That is where I get my yogurt.  I get the cottage cheese at Kroger.  Just like the taste better.  I mix them.  I've even put my crushed meds in with one that is a little tart.  

Hilarious
on 7/7/16 6:49 pm - Coram, NY

I think you're going to enjoy eating without the band. I loved my band, but after my revision surgery 8 months ago, I can eat so much better and more comfortably. Nothing gets stuck and I haven't thrown up once since surgery. What maybe you couldn't tolerate with the band, like steak for me, you may now really enjoy. I can't even believe how good I feel.

I hate Greek yogurt and tried everything to make it taste good (honey, cinnamon), and nothing worked. I finally switched to a non-fat yogurt with artificial sweetener which is not good for you but was the only way I could eat it. It's probably something you don't have in NZ, but I hope you can find it. Mine has 80 calories and 12 grams of protein. During the soft food phase I ate one every day.

i happen to like cottage cheese. I really like it with cantaloupe or honeydew melon. The sweetness from the melon mixes really well with the cottage cheese. 

I wish you the best of luck on your surgery!

Hilari

Banded 3/07 -HW 350+, Height 5'3" SW 338, lost 100 pounds, maintained 80 pound loss

Revision to RNY due to band slip 10/29/15 - SW 260, GW 140, CW 153

Kazzy2
on 7/15/16 4:36 pm

Hi Hilari

Thank you for your message, I read it on my phone then forgot to come back to reply on my computer!

I have purchased some Greek Yogurt with honey, still low in sugar, fat and high in protein, I have not tried one yet as I probably won't like it -but it may be heavenly after surgery?  OK maybe I am kidding myself and will have to do an emergency dash to the supermarket - actually will just get some regular low non-fat yoghurts with my shopping just in case :0)

I also got some cottage cheese with garlic and chives, I have not tried it yet but will do so after .... Again fingers crossed.  If not I have plenty of puree protein options on hand and ready to go.

Getting so close now, three more sleeps, just spending the weekend at home getting everything up to date, bag ready etc etc

Thank you for your support - can't wait to be home again and on the losers bench once more!

Karen

Most Active
Recent Topics