gastro-gastric fistula

pegag
on 7/6/16 4:03 pm

Hi y'all. I am 13 1/2 years post op of open RNY with Silastic Ring.  I have had a long hard road with my bypass.  I did okay the first 4-5 years.  I lost the weight.  My surgeon retired a few years after my surgery.  I went to the support groups  18 months before surgery and so glad I did.  I went for many years.  I moved and don't drive at night so that stopped the support group.  I started having problems with my potassium levels.  They would drop without warning.  I ended up in and out of the hospital for this for 3 months.  CCU and telemetry.  They finally put in a feeding tube.  First through the nose, but ended up with a Mic-key button into my native stomach.  They said I would have it the rest of my life.  I had it for 5 years.  I was doing better and wanted to see if I could do it on my own.  So, we cut down the substitute formula gradually and they removed it. It has been out for 4-5 years.  I am having this horrible pain.  I went to the ER at the hospital where they did my RNY so they could call the doctor that took over my surgeon's patients.  They did a CT of my abdomen, gave me some pain meds and I never heard from the drs office.  I called, got in the next day.  She had the CT results which shows I have a gastro-gastric fistula.  I had an endoscopy and my GI found inflammation where the stoma is.  She has never done a revision for this complication. Plus, I have a belly full of mesh and adhesions and she does not want to do an open surgery.  I went to see my GI (whom I have had for 20 years).  He said I cannot have any laparoscopic surgery.  Only an open.  Plus, I need the adhesions removed to help with bowel functions.  I have  motility issues.  I am scared.  I am trying to find a surgeon here in the Atlanta area that will do open surgery.  

(deactivated member)
on 7/7/16 4:58 am

Sorry to hear of your ongoing problems. I hope someone here can refer you to a an experienced surgeon in your area. You definately need someone with experience. I wish you all good luck and hope surgery can be arranged soon and you will then be out of pain.

Mai23
on 7/8/16 12:08 pm

Have you tried Peachtree bariatrics? 

Im not familiar with them myself, but they do have an excellent reputation and are located in Atlanta. 

mizging
on 7/13/16 6:54 pm

Sounds like w are in the same boat.  I have had numerous endoscopy procedures and the last showed scar tissue has left an opening smaller than a pencil eraser.  I need a fix because I can't live like this...scared to death of a feeding tube and unable to find a doctor who will tackle the problem.  I have one doctor at Vanderbilt, but he's scared me even more with the dangers, and has informed me that I too must have an open procedures.  Anyone know good docs in the Nashville area?

lorylight
on 9/5/16 11:23 pm
VSG on 11/07/16

Dr. Douglas Olsen, he's at Centennial medical center of TN for the treatment of obesity.

Most Active
Recent Topics