Possible to fix severe GERD with a resleeved instead of RNY

Mai23
on 7/7/16 9:31 pm

Hi, 

i had a sleeve done years ago, it's strecthed out, but the main issue is that the sleeve has brought me indescribable GERD. I am told that usually the way this is fixed, is conversion to RNY. For a variety of reasons, I do not want this. 

Is it possible to fix GERD with a sleeve revision or no? I would really appreciate anyone's comments or experience with this. 

hollykim
on 7/8/16 8:54 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On July 8, 2016 at 4:31 AM Pacific Time, Mai23 wrote:

Hi, 

i had a sleeve done years ago, it's strecthed out, but the main issue is that the sleeve has brought me indescribable GERD. I am told that usually the way this is fixed, is conversion to RNY. For a variety of reasons, I do not want this. 

Is it possible to fix GERD with a sleeve revision or no? I would really appreciate anyone's comments or experience with this. 

no,it is not possible to fix it with a resleeve. The high pressure that is created in a sleeve is what causes the reflux.  Resleeving will only continue the high pressure and the reflux migh get even worse.

rny is the only know bariatric surgery to cure reflux.

stacyrg
on 7/8/16 10:28 am, edited 7/8/16 3:29 am
VSG on 05/12/14

I 100% agree. You cannot cure GERD by being re-sleeved. The sleeve is a closed, high pressure system and the acid has nowhere to go but UP into the esophagus. A resleeve will do nothing to fix that. I'm 7 days post op revision from sleeve to bypass for that exact reason. I have not had one bit of acid since my surgery. Please don't consider a re-sleeve to cure the problem and if your doctor is recommending it, I would find another doctor

MuttLover
on 7/9/16 6:42 am
VSG on 11/14/12

Same here.  I was just revised to RNY following sleeve about four years ago.  My sleeve was not stretched, but I had a paraesphogeal hernia which was causing reflux, and I had a long, long prior history of reflux.  My GI doc told me before the sleeve, that if my reflux got worse, revising to RNY would be the next step.  So when they were doing the hernia repair I had a revision - this was about three months ago.  I also wanted to get off P******ce I have been taking twice the recommended maximum dose (with doc approval) for more years that I want to discuss!  LOL!

But, I completely understand.  If I had wanted an RNY, I would have had one to begin with!  But reflux is a very serious issue, and I felt like I was at the point where the benefits of the RNY outweighed the risk.  I wasn't happy about it, but when you, your docs, and your family all agree it is the choice that will offer you the best medical outcome for your combined medical conditions -- well, I just sucked it up and did it.

Best wishes in figuring out what is the right next step for you!

Starting weight: 260; Surgery Weight: 250; Month 1: -15.6; Month 2: -11.8; Month 3: -11.4;  Month 4: -7.4  Month 5: -8.6; Month 6: -3; Month 7 -3.8; Month 8 -7; Month 9: stall; Month 10: -4.4; Month 11: - 2.6; Month 12:-3.4

Anne O.
on 7/12/16 8:42 am - Jacksonville, FL
Revision on 06/30/16

How are you doing so far?

MuttLover
on 7/12/16 10:27 am
VSG on 11/14/12

So far, so good.  I have no GERD and am taking no PPIs.  I'm still getting used to the more fickle RNY -- which is a little more finicky and unpredictable than my sleeve.  Some days, I have no problem with food - other days, very little makes me too full to eat -- or feel like I have a lead ball in my gut!  LOL!  So I'm having more protein shakes and yogurt than I expected, but that's about it!

Good luck!

Starting weight: 260; Surgery Weight: 250; Month 1: -15.6; Month 2: -11.8; Month 3: -11.4;  Month 4: -7.4  Month 5: -8.6; Month 6: -3; Month 7 -3.8; Month 8 -7; Month 9: stall; Month 10: -4.4; Month 11: - 2.6; Month 12:-3.4

D. Scott
on 8/12/16 6:26 pm
RNY with

Muttlover can you tell me a little bit more about the process for you? I just completed a CT scan which revealed 3 hernias. I am almost 4 years post op from VSG. Did you go to a general surgeon to discuss repair for the hernia or did you go straight to a bariatric surgeon? I am waiting for an appointment with a general surgeon but I would prefer to be sent to a bariatric surgeon instead. 

MuttLover
on 8/13/16 12:09 pm
VSG on 11/14/12

My hernia was diagnosed as part of my bariatric check-up.  I was telling my doc about my worsening reflux (way worse than ever!) and weird burps, etc. Then I burped, and she looked at me funny, and said, I think you may have developed a herniation -- so she sent me for testing, which showed the paraesphogeal hernia.  So instead of "just" repairing the hernia -- the bariatric surgeon repaired the hernia and converted to an RNY -- 2 reasons: 1 - to help ensure no more reflux and 2- help with some regain.  But the first reason was primary.  

Can you just go call your bariatric surgeon to discuss?

D. Scott
on 8/21/16 8:56 am
RNY with

I have different medical coverage since I was with my surgeon but I may still call them to see what they say. 

How do you feel about your revision to RNY? 

MuttLover
on 8/21/16 10:06 am
VSG on 11/14/12

Well, I haven't had any reflux -- so that's great!  My stomach (LOL, or what's left of it!) is more fickle than with my sleeve.  Foods are ok one day, but don't sit well the next, etc.  

I am slowly taking off my regain, so that's good too. 

Overall, I am achieving the goals I had -- getting rid of reflux and PPIs, and losing my regain.  I've lost about 30 pounds in four months, and the doc is very pleased with my progress -- I still have another 10 or so to go to get back to where I was before.  But to put the loss in context, I lost basically the same amount of weight on Atkins as I did with my sleeve -- but as you know, losing it is only half the battle!

Most Active
Recent Topics