Lapband to VSG Revision, anyone else?

crochetchick309
on 9/13/16 7:31 pm

Hi everyone! So glad to be here. My name is Carrie, and I am 34 years old. I am so excited to have booked my surgery for October 19th! I had lapband in 2008, and lost 100 lbs but gained it all back plus some as I had to have it out emergently in 2014 (it slipped). I am having the VSG surgery in Tijuana at Mexico Bariatric Center with Dr. Gutierrez, and I am curious if anyone else had lapband and switched to VSG - What kind of results did you have? I had excellent weight loss with the band, but so disappointed I gained it all back. I have difficulties losing weight and have hypothyroidism and PCOS to boot... so weight loss is difficult for me. Just curious also if anyone here has had VSG with similar issues (thyroid or PCOS) and what kind of success you have had. I would appreciate any feedback so I know what I am getting into with this. 

CElizabeth
on 9/14/16 12:39 pm
VSG on 11/10/16

Hi,

Just wanted to say I know how hard it is to lose, I have hypothyroidism and PCOS and am scheduled for the Gastric Sleeve in Tijuana Mexico in Nov. I got my lap band out in June. Good luck.

HARRISBURG Pa 

Revision to Gastric Sleeve Nov 10, 2016

Lap band Removed June 2016

Current weight is 172

Surgery Weight was 196

Goal weight aoround 145

SpartanMom03
on 9/15/16 4:07 pm
VSG on 10/18/16

I'm waiting on a date for revision from lapband to VSG myself so I'm anxious to see what people have to say.  

I have all my appointments completed, just waiting for submission to insurance.

Maybe we will be surgery date buddies!

Britbrat6068
on 9/20/16 12:06 am
Revision on 08/03/16

Hi ladies!!! I was banded Feb 2010, lost a max of 50 lbs and gained it all back plus 20. I had my band removed and revision to the Sleeve all in one surgery on 8/3. My highest weight recorded before I started my pre op diet was 420, surgery weight on 8/3 was 404, and today I weigh 376 lbs. It took me a long time to decide to do this. I knew a long time ago my lap had failed and stopped getting my adjustments about 2 years ago. Luckily, I didn't have major complications from the band because it wasn't 'tight' but decided to consider removal when I started getting bad heart burn and pain in my esophagus. I had a slight 'slip'. Of course my weight loss has been great thus far although now that I'm about 6 weeks out I can eat a little more and I'm still trying to fight my mental food addictions.

Pros of the sleeve vs. Band:

-I now experience a real organic 'full' feeling versus the band that just gave a stuck feeling but still felt an empty stomach.

-the food stages require a lot slower of a progression to solid foods for healing purposes so you will likely lose a lot of weight quickly

-didn't feel the enormous amount of discomfort and pain right after surgery like I did with the band procedure.

-frequent visits to the doctor not required to lose weight.

Cons:

• you will feel an enormous amount of relieve after the band is removed and you won't have that stuck indicator to stop you from eating too fast; I noticed I chew and swallow a lot faster now after the band
  • I felt a lot sicker in the days following my procedure than with the band. Taste buds changed, things tasted disgusting.
  • my metabolism has seemed to slow a lot after the band so long term I feel it will be a lot tougher to lose weight at the same rate as other 'virgin' sleevers.

I am happy with the decision overall thus far but to be honest most of my failure with the band was my fault. Revision patients really need to take the time to get a handle of their food addictions before this surgery happens. The sleeve is yet another 'tool' and you still can eat the wrong foods. For example  With the band I found that I could eat whatever I wanted (except French fries and really thick breads) as long as I chewed long enough to allow the food to 'slide' past the band. You can and will cheat with the sleeve too so if you aren't ready this time around to change your lifestyle then don't torture yourself again!!!!!!!!

Obese folks have internal issues physically and mentally. The mental part is tough....if you failed the 1st time you really need to take ownership of why and decide this time around you are going to do it right. I'm still pretty fresh on this 2nd journey and I can honestly say the demons still creep up on me everyday. As I start to introduce more real foods again, I get the urges to cheat BUT feel a lot more guilty than I did when I cheated with the band. I have cheated already on my puree'd diet a few times. BE READY FOR THIS REVISION MENTALLY. If you really don't have the will power to stay away from bad foods this time then I would suggest talking to your surgeon about another procedure. For me, bypass is out of the question.... I simply cannot deal with the potential risks. I hope this helps you guys, let me know if you have any questions. :-)

DeeDee83
on 9/29/16 7:06 pm, edited 9/29/16 12:06 pm

I had my band removed in 2009.  It had eroded INTO my stomach.  Had severe infection in the port area and down the tube.  I was in the hospital for 5 days on high doses of iv antibiotics after the removal.  

In 2010, after my stomach healed I went in for a DS.  Came out with a VSG due to the severe adhesions I had.  It would not have been safe to do the DS by lap.  I lost 100 pounds.  Never got to my goal weight.  Needed to loose another 50 pounds.  The weight slowly came back on.  Although I never gained it all back, I now have to loose 125 pounds. VSG takes a lot of discipline to continue loosing and to keep it off.  Exercise a lot and dieting.  That's my opinion based on my experience.  Could be different for others.

Here I am today, researching revision surgeons to resleeve and perform the full DS and it will be done open.  I know that will be my last surgery.  I wish I had done the DS open, instead of worrying about another scar.

Good luck to you.  

Most Active
Recent Topics