VSG to RNY revision

Danigirl58
on 10/31/16 4:53 pm - Winnipeg, Canada
VSG on 06/19/13

Hey everyone, I just wanted to ask anyone out there that has done the sleeve to bypass questions. I was sleeved in 2013 and everything was fine until a few months ago and then I started to suffer from GERD horribly. Do to my stomach issues I have gained 25 pounds and I cant even stomach the idea of eating protein sadly bread and pasta are the only things that my stomach seems to like now :( I am going for a scope soon to see what is wrong and to possibly discuss doing a revision to bypass. for those of you that have gone through this before I am wondering if you still had GERD and if you were able to lose weight again after. I sadly feel like I am a big failure now cause I am gaining weight. 

any ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated 

Ladytazz
on 10/31/16 7:44 pm

I previously had a sleeve as part of my first surgery but it was done in 2002, before the sleeve was being done as a stand alone surgery and it was also very big and I never really felt restriction.  They didn't have bougies back then and my surgeon just eyeballed it.  He told me my stomach was reduced by 50% but I couldn't tell.

With a pouch I definitely have restriction.  If I stick with dense protein I get full very quickly.  It really helps me.  I also had terrible GERD and since my revision I haven't had to take any PPI's since my first 3 months when my surgeon had me on them to prevent ulcers.  It is completely gone!  If nothing else it was worth it for that.

It really did improve my quality of life getting rid of the GERD.  I had that even before I had WLS but the sleeve definitely made it a lot worse.

I don't know if I would feel differently if I had experienced restriction with the sleeve but for me having restriction has really helped me maintain my weight loss.

You can still gain weight with a pouch so it is important that you stick with protein first.  If I eat things like salad I can eat a lot but a few ounces of meat fills me up.  

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

stacyrg
on 11/2/16 2:41 pm
VSG on 05/12/14

I revised to RNY from VSG on 7/1 due to severe reflux that started after my surgery.  I had gained about 15 lbs from my lowest, because crackers were the only thing that helped keep the burn in check.  My surgeon told me I was not likely to lose a significant amount of weight as a result of the revision.  I've lost what I gained, and am 2 lbs away from my goal weight.  Revising to RNY was the best decision I ever made.  My acid is 95% resolved and when it does make an appearance, a zantac gets rid of it.  If you have any questions, let me know.  I'd be happy to answer.

borntobethin35
on 11/9/16 1:47 pm - VA

Hi Stacy,

I'm in the process of a revision from Sleeve to RNY. I was originally sleeved back in Feb 2011 now I've put on 40 of the 80 pounds I've originally lost. I'm just nervous about RNY because never once have I dumped with the sleeve but it's my fear with RNY, then the saggy skin I've seen domes with. 

The sleeve was good until over the last few years I've noticed my intake has become more and I'm always hungry, then the heartburn is unbearable. I'm just fearful that more people will know I've had WLS because of all of the restrictions with RNY, no one(not even my distance family like Aunts, Uncles or cousins) ever knew I had WLS. I just need some words of encouragement from you or anyone on that note!

thanks

Sheka

stacyrg
on 11/29/16 3:18 pm
VSG on 05/12/14

sorry I didn't respond until now, but I didn't see your post.  I don't have any different restrictions with my RNY than I did with my VSG.  I didn't dump with my sleeve but have experienced some dumping (on fruit.  I don't eat processed sugar, rice pasta or other carb-rich foods).  With dumping, if you eat on plan and stick to dense protein, the likelihood that you will dump is minimal.  I can't speak about saggy skin.  First, I think it's somewhat inevitable with a large weight loss.  Second, I had more loose skin with my VSG, but that's where I lost the majority of my weight (130 lbs).  Finally, in my mind, the loose skin is a small price to pay in exchange for my health!  Again, sorry for my delay, and if you have any other questions, please let me know!

Jessiadair
on 10/19/17 11:12 am
VSG on 11/16/15

Hi there! I'm having a VSG to rny revision on 11/1. Severe GERD also have regainedð??"I was wondering about the weight loss. I started at 234 VSG on 11/16/15 got down to 174 but I'm back up to 206. I don't eat great. I am a junk food junkie. I am hoping I will have dumping syndrome. Do u have the dumping? Do u feel more restriction w the rny? How about pain and hospital stay? Would like to know what is different for u VSG vs rny.

thanks!!

stacyrg
on 10/19/17 11:27 am
VSG on 05/12/14

I don't know if this was directed at me, but I'll respond. My surgeon told me I was unlikely to lose a significant amount of weight after my conversion to RNY, which was fine with me because I was between 12-15 lbs from goal. It took me about 6 months to lose the weight. I do have dumping. Honestly, it's not something you should wish for. It's pretty miserable. I don't have significantly more restriction with RNY than I did with my sleeve. My sleeve held 75-80ccs and my pouch holds 50-60ccs, now that I'm more than a year post conversion, my capacity is about the same, maybe an ounce less, depending on the food.

I did not have significant pain after my conversion, in fact my recovery was easier, but I attribute that to being 120 lbs lighter at the time of my RNY. I was in the hospital for 3 nights, but that was by choice. I could have been discharged after 2. I only used my pain meds once at home to force me to sleep, so I took them at night before bed.

As far as differences between VSG and RNY, I don't notice any major differences. I didn't have an food issues with my sleeve and I do with RNY, I dump and have reactive hypoglycemia so I really, really, really have to watch my sugar consumption or I get sick. Other than that, nothing.

A word of unsolicited advice? Don't depend on dumping to keep you on the straight and narrow path. You say you don't eat great and that you're a junk food junkie. Until you change those habits, a second surgery will not help you to lose any more weight. Since a majority of people DO NOT dump, it's a bad idea to rely on that for forced compliance. And to be honest, you get used to the dumping and it won't be much of a deterrent, since if you really want that kind of food, you'll learn how much sugar and carbs you can eat at a time to prevent getting sick. You'll eat the same stuff, it'll just take you longer to do it. Try and work on getting your head in the game and making good food choices at the outset. Losing after a revision is hard work, but I'm sure if you put your mind to it, you will be successful! Good luck!!!

RevisionVSGme
on 11/11/16 4:37 pm
Revision on 09/17/13

Hi. I'm getting a revision from Vsg to rny. I haven't had much regain but the gerd is killing and the scale has barely moved in a year and a half. I totally feel like a failure too but try to stay positive. I don't have a surgery date yet but I'm going to try and lose as much as I can or at least go back to basics. I hate protein shakes so protein and some veggies. I want the DS but it's hard to find a surgeon that will take my insurance. I have found no info on Vsg to rny. Have you? Everything is DS. 

E_Saenz
on 11/12/16 10:21 am - Grand Rapids , MI
VSG on 08/12/15

Hello I too am in process of revision from vsg to rny due to severe reflux and GERD.  I am waiting for insurance approval right now I am praying that my insurance will approve fast because I am so sick every day and need relief.  I am not scared in any way just want to have it over with already.  

Elia Maria Saenz

RevisionVSGme
on 11/12/16 1:10 pm
Revision on 09/17/13

Hi, I'm am as well. I hope it happens quick. Have you found information about the VSG to RNY revision? I wanted to find some weight loss averages. Have you found anything?

Most Active
Recent Topics