GI, Upper endoscopy, and blood work complete! Now more questions before I follow up with...

Sgarcia2608
on 2/2/17 7:03 pm

I had my endoscopy this morning and right before I was discharged the doctor came in and told me that my pouch had not stretched but I have a dilated anastomosis and that I need a revision but that I was to schedule an appointment to discuss.

My original surgeon had suggested a band over bypass since I have gained a significant amount of weight.

I'd like to go into my appointment informed and with appropriate questions.

Also I have abnormal blood work.

Hemoglobin is 11.0

Iron Saturation is 14  

MCH is 26.4

MCHC is 31.4

RDW is 15.5

Platelets 385

Vitamin D 25 hydroxy is 7.4

Has anyone had a dilated anastamosis? IF so what revision surgery was done? 

I need recommendations, I've read many articles and studies stating that when you have regained a significant amount the  band overbypass is one of the most effective procedures after the DS.  I had a roux en y gastric bypass in 2002.

Please share your thoughts

Joy8484
on 3/11/17 4:57 pm
Revision on 03/23/17

We're in the same boat, had the roux en y gastric bypass in 2012 gained weight back as well. Got all of my testing done, Upper Gi and Blood-work my next appointment is March 29 however not sure what my results for Upper Gi are, patiently waiting, but you said something very interesting?!? (band over Bypass) didn't know that was possible, going to research that as well. Hope everything goes great for you, goodluch with everything wishing success for you.

Sgarcia2608
on 3/13/17 5:53 pm

Hi hope you are well. Sorry for the delay I haven't been on for a few days. Yes band over bypass is a possible revision procedure for some patients. In my case my doctor did not recommend it as my stomach pouch had not stretched much after my surgery. However the opening (stoma) between the stomach and intestine has stretched and when I eat I never feel full as food basically goes right down to intestine. I am having my revision on Friday March 17. It will be done laparoscopic and he will make the stoma small again and he has had some cases where once he goes in they have to reduce the pouch as well. I am a bit nervous as we are just a few days away. I will update you on how thing go.

Good luck, but it's good you write down questions and research options. According to my doctor this type of revision has the least risk and is successful.

Joy8484
on 3/14/17 1:59 pm
Revision on 03/23/17

No Problem at all. I wish you the best its coming up, you'll be fine, its exciting, its like you get a second chance, plz update me whenever you can no rush, just hoping my doctor will say I can get the revision as well. I will talk to him soon about band over bypass too, as for the Revision wonder whats the most you can lose? And will it take you to your goal weight? So many questions I have, but congrats to you, will be looking forward talking with you soon.

Most Active
Recent Topics