First appointment this Wednesday!!! Please Help!!

Joy8484
on 2/12/17 1:59 pm
Revision on 03/23/17

Hi Everyone,

I had GB in 2012 of July, I was successful however the weight came creeping back on. Long story short I talked to my surgeon and he's retired from anything dealing with Gastric Bypass, He told me I do qualify for a Revision and gave me a name to a Doctor with a impeccable resume in Philadelphia near were I live. Here's my questions...

1. What are they looking for (Doctors) for you to have a Revision is it Gained weight? Hypertension? Diabetes? what else?
  2.  Is the process as long as Gastric Bypass?
  3.  What are insurance's looking for and how do i get approved

I'm knew to this, would really like someone to guide me in the right direction.

Thanks to you all.

rocky513
on 2/12/17 4:45 pm - WI

Do you have insurance or are you self pay?  Most insurance companies have a "one weight loss surgery per lifetime" clause.  Weight gain is not going to be enough to get your insurance to cover your revision.  You will have to prove that you have a mechanical failure of the original surgery to be covered.  Have you had an endoscopy to see if your original surgery is still functioning as it should?  Are you experiencing any complications like a fistula, repeated ulcers, or excessive GERD?   Those kinds of complications may get your insurance to cover a revision.

If your original surgery is intact and functioning, then you need to figure out why you regained weight.  No revision in the world will help you if you choose to not follow the WLS rules.  Most people with regain have introduced simple carbs back into their diet and started drinking with meals. We can eat a lot of carbs and drinking with meals allows you to eat bigger portions. Surgery was never intended to do all the work.  You have to change your approach to food and follow the rules... forever.

The good news is, if your original surgery is not compromised, you can still get back on track and lose weight.  It will require you to not drink with meals, eliminate carbs and eat only dense proteins and non starchy veggies.   You won't lose as fast, but it can be done. Even with a revision, you will not lose as fast or as much as the first WLS.  Some people don't lose any weight after a revision.  

Revisions are complicated and can be dangerous. Proceed with caution.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Joy8484
on 2/13/17 5:32 pm
Revision on 03/23/17

Thank you for your post, I needed to hear this about getting back on track. Honestly I dont have any "real" issues just the weight gain, however I do need to have an endoscopy I do feel like my pouched has stretched I'll definetly see if I can can one when talking to the Doctor on Wednesday. Hopefully I'll get to have it and will take it from there, if not, serious dieting will be followed shortly after.

Thankyou

cmp067
on 2/12/17 8:02 pm, edited 2/12/17 12:17 pm
VSG on 03/23/12

Most of the time they don't put revisions through insurance as another WLS - they put something like "Gastric Resectioning" or other creative phrases. My revision got approved after I had some weight re-gain since my surgeon saw the size of my enlarged sleeve (determined through upper GI X-ray series) and he was concerned enough to do something about it before I gained anymore.

My insurance covered everything. I think it's very important that you find a reputable surgeon who has a lot of experience in revision surgery. They know what they need to say and do to get the best chance of getting you approved.

The whole process took a couple of months max. I had to wait for authorization for everything since I have an HMO. I'm really glad I did the revision. I have my restriction back and am back on the loser's bench.

Original VSG 3/23/2012 - Revision/Resleeve 1/6/2017

Joy8484
on 2/13/17 5:38 pm
Revision on 03/23/17

Just by reading your message gives me hope! I'm nervous but also ready to move forward and see what the outcome will be, I definitely feel as though they need to check my pouch because I can feel it has enlarged, I just know it, but I really hope something can be done. 

Thank you for your information as well.

peachpie
on 2/13/17 6:30 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

Who is the surgeon you were referred to in Philly? 

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

Joy8484
on 2/14/17 3:48 pm
Revision on 03/23/17

Hi, his name is Dr. Noel Williams referred by my Gastric Bypass surgeon Dr. Boyton...Are you from Philly? 

peachpie
on 2/14/17 4:15 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

Yes, I live in Philadelphia. I've heard of him- but he's not who did my surgery

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

Joy8484
on 2/14/17 4:25 pm
Revision on 03/23/17

Okay, I live right next to Philly in South Jersey and my Doctor doesn't do Revisions so he refereed me to him. I hope this goes well, there has to be loop holes? I'm gaining weight however I don't have hypertension or Diabetes, do you know a way to get around it?

Renee C.
on 2/14/17 8:29 am - Bellevue, WA
Revision on 02/01/17

Good luck tomorrow!!

Band removal & RNY Feb 1 2017

Most Active
Recent Topics