RNY---->DS?

muirite
on 5/15/17 12:36 pm

Has anyone in here had an RNY to DS done? How was the recovery? Would you do it again?

I had an RNY about 20 years ago. My original surgeon is now retired so I cant go back to him. I have been working with a different surgeon who had me do lots of test including an upper GI and that found that I have a "significant" (drs description) fistula. The report says that most of the staples of the original surgery is in all in one area and basically I have no bypass.

This surgeon wants to repair and do a more distal bypass. I am not sure that is what I want to do because I have not read anything good about that particular variation of the bypass. It will be a major surgery because it has to be open and I need to be sure. I don't want to be bullied like i was the first time (i was very young and not such a good advocate for my self at 17/18).

airbender
on 5/15/17 4:58 pm

there are quite a few rny to ds on this site, but you may want to post your question to the DS board. I agree do all your research before and don't let anyone bully you to get something you don't want to.

If you have a specific question for me, PM me or I will not see it, as I don't check responses on the forums and don't have anything forwarded to my email.

hipswishingvinegarball
on 5/18/17 9:42 pm

There are people that revised from RNY to DS, but only a few surgeon actually do that revision, and almost all others will try to persuade you to get something they actually can do (like some other type of RNY, such as distal). Don't let a surgeon sell you what is easiest or most lucrative for them - do the research to know what YOU would do best with, and go to the best surgeon for that. I agree, ask on the DS board (most will suggest Drs Keshishian or Rabkin in CA, but there are a few others).

nedsmehlp
on 6/25/17 9:05 pm - Hutchinson, KS

Dr. Keshishian did my revision from VSG to DS. I know he does the RNY to DS surgery. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend him. If you call his office they will answer all your questions. You can also talk to Dr. Keshishian himself. He is an amazing surgeon and a genuinely caring person!

Most Active
Recent Topics