New Here Revision Underway

woodsk
on 9/18/17 12:46 pm
Revision on 12/22/17

High all, I'm new here thought I would share.

I had a lap band placed in 2007 and all it did was cause me to vomit for the next 10 years, the only weight loss I achieved with the band was while I was on wigh****chers.

Well the lab bad caused erosion of my stomach was approved for removal as "medically necessary" which I had done on 9/14. Recovery from removal is much worse than implantation BTW.

Now starts the process for approval for the sleeve procedure (which I should have just done in the first place). Hopefully that process doesn't take too long.

I am very excited to have started down this path

ladygodiva1228
on 9/19/17 9:41 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

Just a word of caution about getting the sleeve after the band. There have been folks that end up having to revise to the bypass after getting the sleeve due to awful reflux/GERD. I had the band and ended up revising to the bypass. I had horrible reflux with the band and my surgeon said the sleeve could very well make it worse.

So if you have erosion of your stomach I am surprised the surgeon will go ahead with the sleeve.

Best of luck.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

woodsk
on 9/19/17 10:43 am
Revision on 12/22/17

Thanks for the advice, my Dr. and I have not yet decided on what the revision would be, we had discussed the sleeve but he said we would decide after the band removal based on what he saw. We will make the decision at my 1 month post op appt.

Have you been successful with the bypass?

ljbarbara
on 9/19/17 2:52 pm

I revised to RNY 8 years after being sleeved due to severe GERD. I did not have GERD prior to being sleeved. Had I known about the high posibility of GERD post VSG, I wouldn't have had it done.

As the poster above said quite a few people have been revised to a sleeve after lap band removal, then end up being revised to RNY due to GERD. Please do discuss this with your surgeon.

My revision has been successful in completely eliminating my GERD. I am below goal weight, so weight loss was not my intention.

You get the same honeymoon period post revision that you got with your original surgery. If weight loss is your goal with the revision, you definitely have the opportunity to do so.

Original surgery: VSG Feb. 2009

REVISED TO RNY FEBRUARY 2016

Height: 5'7"

Start weight: 252. Current weight: 120

krafty81
on 9/19/17 3:10 pm
Revision on 10/01/17

Hello-

I had the band done in 2008 and have had problems with GURD ever since! I am trying to get my insurance to approve a revision but they are saying its not medically necessary, even though my general dr, my gastro doc and surgeon say differently, did you have any problems with your insurance covering the revision.

woodsk
on 9/19/17 3:17 pm
Revision on 12/22/17

My Surgeon did an endoscopy and based on the results of that the Insurance agreed that it was medically necessary

Julie1056
on 9/25/17 9:15 am

Great information thank you.

ladygodiva1228
on 9/20/17 7:05 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

I have had great success and I'm very happy that I went with the bypass. Honestly I should have done that in the first place.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

Julie1056
on 9/21/17 8:51 pm

I had a lap band and did great until I had to have it losened up (I couldn't keep anything down and the acid refux was horrible!)l then when I had the band put back in place it just didn't seem to work for me. Now I am trying to figure out what to do and researching going to Mexico I think for an RNY which I've heard is the way to go if you've had GERD. It' so confusing. And the more research I do the more confusing it is . Any thought s on good sites? Thank you.

Virgie Tschirhart
on 9/21/17 8:05 pm - Midwest City, OK
RNY on 12/27/17

Yes, I had the Lap Band in 2008 it did not work well with me and it gave me acid reflux (GERD). In 2009 I revised to the VSG. Wish I had been told the VSG would make it worse, cause I would not have revised to that. Now 9 years later and 2 surgeries, I am in the process of getting revised to the RNY. I heard with the RNY the acid reflux goes completely away for some and decreases for others., I'm going with that because I have a Hiatal Hernia and it's not getting better. So, my surgeon wants to work on the Hiatal Hernia & while she is in there to revise the VSG to the RNY. So, I believe she is submitting my request as a medical necessity for the RNY.

Virgie Tschirhart

Lap Band - 2008, Sleeve - 2009, RYN - 2017

Started Program Weight July 13, 2017 - 194.2

Before Surgery Weight December 27, 2017 - 185.0

Current Weight - February 2018 - 161.0

Most Active
Recent Topics