Extended RNY vs DS

KarenRaeLynn10
on 4/5/18 8:51 pm
Revision on 10/01/18

Hey OH!

Im looking for feedback on a revision procedure. Ill try to make it quick.

I had my original RNY in Sept 2006. It worked great for me and I lost 192 (between RNY and skin removal. In 2013, during my last pregnancy, I gained about 60-70 pounds (I was about 290 by this time). I had a revision from RNY to sleeve about 2015. This was a huge fail. I lost only 30 pounds and gained it all back and some.

Im starting the 6 month supervision for another revision and have two options: Extended RNY or DS. My doc ants to convert back to the ERNY, I want DS. My main concern is that with the ERNY, he cant ?guarantee? a set loss amount. Another thing is if I do a DS, it can be made into a ERNY if needed, but an ERNY would be the last option.

My BMI is under 50 and an ERNY would be best for my reflux. Any feedback is appreciated!

jrolfson2000
on 4/27/18 2:40 pm

Hi Karen...

I can give you my experience. I had Gastric Stapling in 1977, revised to GB in 1991 due to the Gastric Stapling came apart. After 20 years, year 2009 I had a ERNY. At the time I was back up to 220 lbs. After ERNY I Lost as far down as 125 and I am just now starting to experience some weight gain, I have maintained a weight of about 136 for the past 4 years. I'm now at 144. I have had issues with the ERNY such as potty issues, vitamin issues, however, my body seems to have gotten used to the shortened intestines and I seem okay. Just hate that the malapsorbtion has pretty much come to a halt. If you can get the DS I understand it is much better for you. Dr. Ara Keshishian is the best at this and is in California. Good Luck to you.

Janie

KarenRaeLynn10
on 4/27/18 2:55 pm
Revision on 10/01/18

Thank you so much for your input. I know the potty issue may be problematic for me, as far as work accessibility. Ill keep plugging away at options.

MyBariatricLife
on 4/29/18 1:40 pm

Dr. Roslin in NYC at Lennox Hill Hospital has a newer version of the DS that he does. He has been a huge advocate of the DS over the RNY for many years. You may want to get his opinion even if you don't use him for your surgery.

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

Most Active
Recent Topics