Long-Term Band to Sleeve Revisions?

sf100
on 8/1/18 1:13 pm

I'm scheduled for a band removal later this month. I think the band is doing some good, but my weight peaked at nearly 100% regain 8 years out. At 11 years out, I have dieted down to about 50% regain. I anticipate revision surgery in October or November.

The sleeve sounds safe and good (I'm a relative lightweight), but I'm scared of regain again. The surgeons assure me that regain is rare with DS, but described a bunch of potential surgical and long-term problems (even diapers!). The DS surgeon would be happy to do a DS if I want, but says it is unavoidably more dangerous than the sleeve.

Are there any long-term band-to-sleeve patients who can tell me about your experiences with with weight loss and regain? After a few years, is the sleeve any different than a lap band would be? If you have stayed at your target weight, how did you do it? If you haven't, what got in the way?

Any other thoughts?

Tsho12
on 8/5/18 10:06 am

I had the band for years and then had it revised to sleeve. This week had revised to bypass.. The Dr said most, not all ppl that have sleeve after band have poor results because your esophagus is compromised and horrible reflux

Gonnabskinni2018
on 9/14/18 10:28 am

How is the revision going so far? I am so nervous of this process?

Tsho12
on 8/5/18 10:17 am

Revise to bypass

sf100
on 8/6/18 12:05 pm

I had no idea that esophageal problems were common. I just had an upper GI and discovered that the band has already caused some problems in the way my esophagus works. Now, the sleeve isn't looking so good.

Thanks so much for your reply.

Tsho12
on 8/6/18 12:17 pm

The sleeve will inly make your reflux worse.

MarinaGirl
on 8/6/18 9:36 am

I also concur, revise from band to RNY instead of VSG.

Most Active
Recent Topics