Outcomes VSG to RNY

KadieEuropeBound
on 8/22/19 12:38 pm
Revision on 08/15/19

Stacy,

I have been approved for revision from VSG to Bypass. Are you saying that you still experiencing acid reflux? While I'm waiting for revision in Sept, my new PPI medicine has help suppressed my acid reflux. Also, I'm make sure to not overeat, do eat late at night. As as result, I starting to second guess myself regarding conversion to bypass or just stay on PPI long term. My terrified of getting the late dumping aka reactive hypoglycemia or earlier dumping. Even though the bypas my help my mild acid reflux, I'm not to thrilled about the dumping. I love my sleeve but not the gerd. Plus, I have a small sliding hiatal hernia that my surgeon tells me that it has no impact on my gerd

stacyrg
on 8/22/19 12:47 pm
VSG on 05/12/14

It did not resolve 100% but it is 90% improved. I would not recommend staying on PPI long term as there are concerns regarding the long term effect of PPI usage.

I understand that it's a hard decision. I loved my sleeve but the GERD was life altering, and I needed to do something. I had the added issue that, due to a gene mutation, many PPIs don't work for me and the one that does (Dexilant) is not covered by my insurance. Honestly, I would take the risk on the dumping. Most RNY patients don't dump and it's pretty easy to control if you eat appropriately and stay away from sugary foods.

I had a small hiatal hernia that recurred after my VSG surgery and that was repaired again at the time of my revision.

Most Active