Outcomes VSG to RNY

sunnyday55
on 8/15/19 9:16 pm

Scheduled for revision to RNY in September.Please share your experience.Weight loss outcomes and any recommendations please.Was it worth it? Hope I'm doing the right thing. Thank you.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 8/16/19 3:28 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

I did a conversion from VSG to RNY due to GERD about 2.5 weeks ago. The recovery was completely awful and I struggled, I'm not going to lie, but at this point I'm feeling better, just exhausted.

I'm already down by 20lb, though I'm due to hit my "three week stall" any day now. The GERD is completely gone, which is a huge relief, and I'm feeling much better.

Definitely glad I did it, though the past couple of weeks have definitely been a struggle.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

sunnyday55
on 9/3/19 8:35 am

Good morning.

Wondering how are you doing post op?Hoping all is well with you.

Currently I'm doing my pre-op fast.Surgery in two weeks. Hope you are doing great!

on 9/3/19 8:38 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I'm doing pretty well! I'm down 25lb, which is good progress. Still having a little bit of trouble with food-- I keep getting food stuck and having to throw it up, which is pretty miserable. And I'm struggling a bit with getting enough water in, I'm super sick of artificial sweetener. But at least the GERD is completely resolved, which is the best part :)

sunnyday55
on 9/3/19 9:00 am

Yahoooo on the Gerd part!

Hopefully things will resolve soon. I too have issues with the artificial sweeteners.

I have been doing lemon,cucumber and ginger waters.Refreshing. Wishing you the best.Thank you for your reply.

sunnyday55
on 8/16/19 6:24 pm, edited 8/16/19 11:53 am

Thank you so much for your reply.Glad to hear you are doing better.I am imagining it is not going to be a picnic.How long were you hospitalized?Any tips? So not looking forward to the surgery and healing. It?s not our first rodeo.

Wishing you a speedy recovery!

on 8/17/19 5:13 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

I spent two nights in the hospital because they wanted to keep an eye on something for my blood work, can't remember what, but the normal procedure is one night's stay.

Can't say I have any tips other than to have lots of different drinks on hand, that will make it a little easier to get the fluid in. I am SO sick of zero-sugar gatorade and I wish I'd had a few other things in the pantry!

momyshaver
on 8/18/19 4:00 am
VSG on 06/28/17

I had a medical revision, (GERD from internal scarring resulting from a medication that impaired healing), from VSG. I woke up feeling immediate relief and my recovery was so much less painful. That may have been that I was no longer on the offending medication, (that impaired healing after my first surgery). Tips would be to stay on top of your hydration. I bought a sno cone machine and that helped. I would pour fluids on them or just eat the shaved ice early pre op and even now. Other tips would be follow your surgeon's guidelines and take your vitamins. I guess doing the right thing would depend on your why. If you have a poor relationship with food I would get that straightened out or you will find that you will just eat your way around the RNY. If it is GERD or some other medical reason, it still depends. I would get your diet and head straight before revision.

sunnyday55
on 8/18/19 8:46 am

Thank you so much.That "head " part will always be a struggle for me.

My very best to you.

stacyrg
on 8/19/19 12:13 pm
VSG on 05/12/14

I revised from VSG to RNY, my recovery was amazingly easy. I had minimal pain and was up and about a few hours after my surgery. I felt so good that they had to send someone to find me the next morning when my surgeon showed up to check in on me. I was able to progress through my food stages really quickly. All in all, my recovery was easier than my original surgery. As for weight loss, I was basically at goal when I revised (up less than 10 lbs because of what I was eating to minimize my GERD). That weight came off super fast and I didn't lose much below my goal (maybe 5 lbs).

Unfortunately, my revision did not cure my GERD. I also developed severe hypoglycemia as a result, which has been less than a picnic to deal with.

You don't say why you're revising, so hard for me to say if it's the right thing. While my GERD is not 100% resolved, it is significantly better and now controlled by medication. where it wasn't prior to my revision surgery. So there's that.

Most Active
Recent Topics