Why why why???

emyanna
on 7/22/20 5:09 pm

I had a gastric bypass in 2008. Lost 120 lbs. still had about 50 to go when I became good friends with a coworker who loved to eat out. Nuff said. I gained back about 50 instead of losing 50. Fast forward to 2020. I went to the ER for recurring abd pain and was sent the next day to a bariatric surgeon. He did an egd and found a large marginal jejunal ulcer that needed repair. He also said I needed a revision as my pouch was very large. Ok so I had the surgery. May 20, 2020. 2 mo ago. I wish I had never had it done. Ever since I have had trouble eating and getting anything to go down and stay down. Not all the time but at least once a day I throw it up to relieve the pain. I am sick and tired of it. My surgeon did another egd and said he would dilate if he needed to but he says all was normal. So what now? I live with this forever? I never had anything like reflux or gerd in the past. I have not found any food that tastes good to me and I can deal with that. But dang. I can't even drink water sometimes.

White Dove
on 8/11/20 6:57 am - Warren, OH

Two months after RNY I was eating 400 calories a day and almost all of it was from protein shakes. I started adding some low carb vegetables like lettuce at 90 days out. I had my first solid meal at four months out. It was salad and a very small serving of steak at a restaurant. At three months I also had half of a small Wendy's chili and one day I ate toppings only from a slice of pizza.

By six months after surgery, I could manage to eat 1/4 of a subway sandwich. I was shocked that I could do that. Throwing up is not a good thing to be doing. It sounds like you are trying to force yourself to eat way more than your pouch can handle now. Your pouch can probably hold about three to four ounces of food now. A food scale will help you to understand what you can comfortably eat.

If you continue to overeat, you will stretch your pouch back out. Ask your surgeon how much food your current pouch can hold and then stick to that amount. You will not live on the small amounts of food forever. Your stomach now is like a new born baby's. But it will become an adult quite quickly. In another six months, you will be able to eat much more without it making you sick. It is a good idea to take advantage of this period and lose as much weight as you can before your pouch grows bigger.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Dee_Caprini
on 8/26/20 10:56 am

When it comes to wanting to toss my cookies, I typically didn't wait to drink after I've eaten. so if there is food on my pouch, and I drink, it's coming up because there is nowhere for the liquid to go. And, no chugging! I also have noticed that if I ate too fast, I would get a bubble in my chest and have to stop. Hoping things are better for you and know that things will get better. It just takes time. Like WD stated, there were days I was working off of very minimal intake just to get something in. I have learned that having minimal calories will not be preferred, but as long as it's not prolonged (and a couple of days is not prolonged), I'll be fine.

Sending you big hugs

SuMari
on 9/10/20 3:35 pm

I'm sorry you are going through some difficulty. Maybe you are advancing to the next stage before your body is ready? A friend of mine who went through the process (granted, it was her first surgery and not a revision) had to stay on soft mushy foods for a few extra weeks because her pouch wanted nothing to do with solids. She also STILL doesn't feel like eating. Maybe you are experiencing something similar? I've also read that sometimes regular water is "too heavy" and once a crystal lite is added, makes things a bit "lighter" going down?

Melinda B.
on 11/11/20 2:00 pm - Little Rock, MS

How much weight have you lost?

melissajeffrey
on 1/12/21 8:28 pm

Great inspiration.

Most Active
Recent Topics