Looking for a good revision surgeon.....

amymarieblackmon
on 11/4/04 6:26 am - Quakertown, PA
Hello, I am a 28 yo female. I had wls May 2000. I lost 150lbs. In the past year I have had some complications and weight gain. The complictions I have are GERD, gastritis, and anemia. I saw a gastroenterologist and had 2 EGD's performed. No ulcers, no staple line break down, and no other problems (besides the ones listed above) that he saw. I saw a hematologist and had to have IV iron in October 2003 and September 2004. My hematologist and family physician suggested I see a surgeon just to make sure everything with the wls is okay. I have come to find that my surgeon retired a year and a half after my surgery and never sent out letters. So I saw a bariatric surgeon in Bethlehem, PA. I got some distrubing news. Apparently from the OP report from the original surgeon states he performed a jejunal loop bypass. This is not what I was told he was doing. I was told and have thought all along I had a Roux en Y. As you may already know, the loop is not good and has the same complications I have been experiencing. The reason why I am posting this is to see if I can get a second opinion on a revision. If I am going to go through the wls again I just want to make sure that all the information I am getting is correct. I am looking for an excellent surgeon that is properly trained in revisions. I am also looking for a surgeon that is willing to take me on as a patient. I am having some problems finding a surgeon that will even talk to me. Please help. I have commited to having wls, and I have been living with wls everyday for the past 4 years.
(deactivated member)
on 11/5/04 12:33 am - TX
Hi! I am sorry that you having these problems and that the surgeon did not do the RNY. I am from Phila and my doctor did a revision for me, he actually did my original VBG. I just wanted to respond to your post, even though I do not know what to say to you besides you can try to call my dr, his name is dr. kirkland and he is a GI/General surgeon, but he is the best! He specializes in the stomach, intestines and he would know what to do to help you, if he can. Give him a call, it is far from where you are, but it is a shot. 215-829-3697. Hope all works well for you and I would love to hear how you make out! ~Diana
sjbob
on 11/5/04 7:03 am - Willingboro, NJ
I'm going to have a revision done by Steven Raper, MD, at HUP (Hosp of U of Penna). He does mostly revisions but he also does some original surgeries. He said he only does 2-3 bariatric surgeries a week. HUP does accept most insurers. He was thorough in explaining what must be done and the dangers involved.
Paulette A.
on 11/9/04 12:55 am - Mesa, az
Hi I just had a revision and its been about 3 week I feel wonderful. I have gained back 50 pounds from may I had lost 100 pounds. I am now down 20 pounds after the revision. My dr. did my surgery in LA but also does it in Vegas. There are other drs. with this program but I only had experence with Dr. Nazarian. He is with livelite and his program director and contact person who is really really the best is Rick Mark. His number is 213 387-0643 give him a call if you havn't found a surgoen yet. They are the best. Paulette
Most Active
Recent Topics