silly question

Mechelle J
on 5/31/05 1:30 am - Manchester, KY
I suppose this is a silly question, but I am in the researching stage, what is a revision and why do you need one? Does everyone that has wls end up needing a revision? Thanks, Mechelle
Nancy Degenmeister
on 6/3/05 9:09 pm - Bergen County, NJ
A revision is any followup surgery to either correct a mechanical issue with an existing surgery (such as a too-large stoma, or to bypass more intestine, etc.) or convert from one style of WLS procedure to another. Nancy 394/275/180
DBS
on 6/3/05 10:28 pm - Southwest, OH
Mechelle, No, just us "lucky" ones. (Hope you can hear the irony dripping there) You need to talk to your surgeon, but there are are many reasons for revision. Some are as simple as stretching out your pouch or (me) staple line disruption. Some reasons are from complications, or, as stated on an earlier post, because the patient is revising from one WLS to another, usuall because they are not happy with the amount of weight they have lost. Every weight loss surgery has it's own pros and cons, as well as success rate. If you've been lurking on the main board, you'll see there are many losers who have met their goals and kept it off for years. You are doing the right thing, researching and asking questions.
Most Active
Recent Topics