???

Christy M.
on 8/2/05 12:55 am - Rogers City, MI
Is this site just for people who need or have had revisions to their original WLS due to their 1st surgery being "bdd"? Or does this include people who have had WLS and possibly stretched their stoma and/or pouch? Christy
LMALLAD
on 8/3/05 1:19 am - Silver Creek, GA
Christy, I'm not real sure what "bdd" is but I posted on this board because I am having corrective surgery. I had VBG July '93, had lost and maintained down from 320 to 140 for nine years when my husband and I were in an automobile accident August 2001. I slowly began gaining weight Fall of 2001. Other than a slight weight gain I had no other real 'symptoms' of anything going awry in my stomach. However I did suffer severe abdominal trauma in the accident, along with a ruptured disc in my back and herniated disc in my neck and we just attributed my weight gain to my inability to exercise while in PT. I was still eating sensibly, small meals every three hours, watching calories and intake. As soon as I was released from PT I began my exercise regiment again as I had done for years. It wasn't until January this year that it became apparent that there has been a slow progressing situation with my VBG. Upon doing SEVERAL tests including an EGD (stomach scope) that my GI found that I have two staple line disruptions, a hole in the top of my stoma (pouch) that is leaking over into the lumen (old stomach) and that the prosthetic band at the bottom of my stoma has corroded quite a bit into my pouch. It's amazing just how quickly my health and condition has deteriorated along with the damage that I experienced. It has basically snowballed at magnum light speed in the past couple of months. Now we are trying to get me stabilized to get into surgery. I have lost 40 pounds since the New Year without trying, have a high elevated white count due to the foreign object (the band) in my stoma (white count now is 16,000), I have had a fever since day before Memorial Day (daily fever doesn't frop below 100) and the leakage could cause a massive infection in my system (I have been on preventitive antibiotics for about 6 weeks now). The surgeon who is caring for me says what he needs to do is explore the internal reason why I am vomiting and have terrible diarrhea and am now on liquids only (almost ten weeks since I have been able to eat ANY solid food) Actually tomorrow we head to see him again and hopefully either put me in tomorrow for the procedure or get a date within the next week.
Christy M.
on 8/3/05 1:45 am - Rogers City, MI
Sorry everyone, I was typing too fast and the word I meant was "bad" not "bbd". Thanks, Christy
Jan H.
on 8/6/05 1:05 am - Ypsilanti, MI
Hi Christy, I had the micropouch in 2002 and lost only about 60 pounds. I now have gained about 20 pounds. I contacted CORI,but they have been no help. Dr. Sapala did my surgery and I had thought that with the micropouch I would not regain, but I have and am. I am seeing Dr. Lutrzykowski in Bloomfield Hills on the 15th to discuss a revision to DS. I believe my stoma is enlarged and my "tool" is not working anymore. I am so hoping he can help me and I believe if I had known sooner, I would have had the DS to begin with. I hope you can get some help soon. It is not easy finding a revision surgeon and sometimes the original surgerons don't want to admit something went wrong. I know CORI says they have never had to do a revision, but I know of several who had the micropouch and have had to have revisions done. Perhaps there never had to do one is because they won't do one. Best of luck and keep in touch! Jan
Evie
on 8/17/05 5:21 am - Arnprior, Canada
Revision Doctor: Dr. Elliot Goodman, www.shedweight.com. He does revisions and reversals from what I understand. Take care...Best of luck to all. Eve
Most Active
Recent Topics