Basic Revision info needed please

Maria L
on 10/20/05 12:43 am - Glen Burnie, MD
Hi all, I have a new WLS info site called The Road To Thin. It is getting many hits, and I am getting many emails from grateful folks who are researching surgery. Right now I have info on RNY, DS and lapband -- with other surgeries to be added soon.. I'd like to add info on Revision. Can you please post here -- or email me -- why revision is often necessary.... what happens that it is required... what it entails, etc... Overall... the variety of reasons WHY it needs to be done. Thanks for any and all info you can provide. You are helping others who are researching surgeries and/or who need reminding of what the "rules" and vitamin/etc needs are post-op. Maria 268/219/??? www.TheRoadToThin.com [email protected]
Kimmer K
on 10/25/05 8:00 am - GA
Maria- I tried to send you a long email, but it was returned as undeliverable from your yahoo address. Kimmer
Maria L
on 10/25/05 8:07 am - Glen Burnie, MD
I dont' know what the problem is. That seems to happen sometimes -- even though it is only 5% full. (And I got this Forum notification ok...) You can try these. [email protected] [email protected]
losinit
on 10/27/05 5:40 pm - Oakwood, TX
20 YRS AGO I HAD THE OLD VBG, WHICH IS NOW CONSIDERED THE LAST CHOICE SURGERY. IT WAS EASY TO CHEAT IT AND REGAIN. POST OP DIET WAS POORLY DEVISED, IF THERE EVER WAS ONE, AND I NEVER HAD FOLLOW UP. THE SILASTIC STRICTURE RING BREAKS DOWN AND THE SUTURES BEGIN TO DISSOLVE. PLEASE DO NOT RECCOMMEND IT TO ANYONE. I HAD A REVISION 24 YEARS LATER AFTER MY SURGEON AND GI DOC BOTH SAID THE VBG WAS A HUGE FAILURE.
mamadawny
on 10/28/05 6:56 am - Oklahoma City, OK
I had a revision because my pouch was very streched, my Doc thought that I probably had a fold in my original pouch which contributed to the problem. I am now 2 weeks out and doing well on the diet. Dawn
itzmyturn
on 10/30/05 11:28 am - Dallas, TX
Basically, my situation is similar to the previous posts. But I want to add, after having a x-ray done it was found that the staples used for my VBG became lost within the tissue of my stomach, and the doctor said more than likely they were digested and left my body. They were not even VISIBLE on the x-ray all of them were GONE! Over time, in my opinion, the staples can lose their effectiveness. Constant eating, and basic "wear and tear" can cause the staple line to rupture or come undone and thus causing the stomach to regain its normal size. If the staples are no longer intact, the surgery is useless. My surgeon suggested the RNY as a revision, because it has a greater success rate than VBG... "in her opinion". And I would have to agree with that statement. Denise
FOGHORN
on 11/5/05 11:55 pm - sweet home, OR
i agree with denise, i had bypass in 1988 and my tear two weeks ago was "marked" big enough for 4 endosophy cameras. looked wierd to me in pictures. my surgeon agreed that my staples were probably in the stomach lining or gone. they dont show easily in any x ray since they are really small and usually titanium. funny side bar the camera down the throat did a biopsy for gastritis in lower and upper stomach looking for the common infections that cause reflux, etc and found my own immune system was preventing this. lucky lucky me. hope this helps dave
FOGHORN
on 11/13/05 2:52 am - sweet home, OR
my original surgery was in 1988. i had a vbg with all the stapling it included vertically. great success for about 5 years. 200 pound loss, a marriage, started a new business. the biggest prob lem was that there was no support group, or help at all from my dr or hospital so i set off on my life alone. now i find that the type of surgery has an 85% failure rate. definitely would have changed my thinking back then if i had known that. so 17 years later i have gained back 150 pounds have lots of co morbities, sleep apnea, arthritic knees, diabetis, and fatigue. oh my oh my what have i done. i remembered the previous wins and set out to try again on my own. the new rny surgery is called the cadillac of weight loss surgeries but requires a true lifetime commitment because it is truly not taken lightly. they are moving my organs. specifically the large intestine. it is a little disconcerning as i am 56 years old now at the far end of the spectrum for surgery but i studied this surgery on the net for 6 months to get a good feel for the risks etc. today i am 18 days past my new surgery lost 42 pounds (easier and quicker for a guy than a gal) doing phenomenal. i know that my apnea alone would have killed me within 5 years and i feel that 20-25 years is now feasible for me. this is the kind of reward i went after and it is now up to me to take this tool (wls) and move forward. i chose an incredible program here in oregon near me that has all the necessary ingredients to succeed, a top surgeon, incredible staff, large support group meetings monthly, and checkups throughout the year. hope this explains my reasons for the second surgery.
Most Active
Recent Topics