Hoping for good advice, instead of accusations HELP!!!

(deactivated member)
on 12/5/05 3:04 am
I've got a failed RNY. Surgery in June 2004. Weight loss stopped in December 2004. Follow up kept saying that I wasn't eating enough. Well, it turns out that I have a failed stoma (finally got the barium swallow). The hole is way too big. My surgeon was originally going to revise this to include a plastic ring to moderate the size of the opening. But then he changed his mind and basically said that I must have been eating big portions and messed the whole thing up by overeating. Which is NOT true. I'm now in a different state, Iowa, and I have no idea of what to do. But it really smarts that my surgeon doesn't believe me. Do you know someone I can go to? Or guidance on what I should do? I have fallen into a deep depression over this. I don't understand the reversal of opinion (first he said yes, "let's do a revision," and now it's "no, I think you sabotaged it."
Patty_D.
on 12/6/05 3:46 pm - Kershaw, SC
I also had a surgeon who blamed me time and time again for the failure of my stomach stapling and yes it pi$$ed me off!! If you go to the top left of this screen, you will see where it has two drop down boxes. Put Revision in the first box and Iowa in the second box. That will give you a page with Constantine T Frantzides at the top. If you want a list of other surgeons in the state, there is a place near the bottom of that page that says: Interested in researching available information on all 34 surgeons doing surgery in Iowa? If so, please click here to sign in as a member. Click on the "click here" that is a different color type than the rest of those words, and it will take you to a page to login and then on to a page that list many more surgeons in your state. In searching for a revisionist, check that they have done revisions and are experenced in that area, as revisions often have complication of scar tissue and other problems that you sould only let a skilled surgeon work with. Also a revision can take longer and many drs don't want to do them. They would rather take an easy "virgin" WLS patient than to do a revision!! And if I am not too mistaken, they get paid for the procedure by the insurance co.s not how long it takes. So they choose the shorter time over the more complicated one. It kinds shows that they are MORE interested in the money than the patient. But, thank God, not all surgeons are like that. There are some who are very familar with revisions and who are concerened in helping a patient who has had previous problems with WLS have a healthier life!! I happen to have one of the BEST of that kind of surgeon doing my surgery on Jan 16th! Patty PS: If you do not find a surgeon in your state, you can also check on the surrounding states. The best of luck to you.
corliss
on 12/7/05 11:50 am - Lupton City, tn
Hi, I have an old JJ bypass and was recently banded. My surgeon Dr. Sanchez in Monterrey mexico at Ready4Achange.com says that it is fine to do band over failed bypass. Mine was easier because my stomach had not been touched. If I did a load of research and he is very experienced and is a wonderful man. I loved his whole team. Most docs wouldn't even talk to me about it. So what if I had been bypassed 27 years ago-I failed as far as they were concerned. Others wanted me to have it revised to RNY. They would have had to have done it open. The band was by far the best choice for me. Dr. Sanchez has successfully banded several post RNY patients. He had me have a gastric swallow done prior to surgery incase I gave him wrong info, he wanted ot know for sure. That was fine with me. I respect his carefullness. Good luck. Corliss
Most Active
Recent Topics