Endoscopic gastric bypass revision --anyone had it?

snazzytoes88
on 12/26/05 8:20 am - woburn, MA
Hi.. I am new here. I just found out about endoscopic gastric bypass repair/revision at this address: http://community.nursingspectrum.com/MagazineArticles/article.cfm?AID=14602 Apparently the surgeon can make the pouch smaller and make the stoma (exit to intestines from stomach) smaller, all by way of a tube down your throat (while you're under general anesthesia). I called and got an appt for April, which is the first available one because soooo many people need this done for stretched out pouches/stomas. Has anyone had this? I had RNY in 2001, lost 80 of 110 I wanted to lose, then gained back about 50. Sickening!!! I hate feeling like such a horrible failure all the time!!! I hope someone can report that this new procedure will work. Whatever, I'm going to do it, even if I have to pay for it myself!! thanks... if anyone wants me to email them the actual article, please let me know...
POOBEAR
on 12/27/05 1:57 am - Cahokia, IL
HI VERONICA! I WOULD LIKE FOR YOU TO E-MAIL THE ARTICAL TO ME PAM S AT [email protected] THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH! I HAD MY RNY JAN 2002 HAD LOST 107LBS AND GAINED BACK 30LBS BUT HAVE BEEN EXERCISING AND HAVE LOST 13LBS IN TWO MONTHS. I WENT TO SEE DR. VALERIE HALPIN IN SEPT OF THIS YEAR AND SHE SAID I MIGHT HAVE A STRECTHED STOMA BUT THEY WEREN'T DOING ANYTHING AT THAT TIME BUT THERE WAS A TRIAL EXPERIMENT GOING ON TO STITCH IT CLOSED BUT THEY ARE NOT DOING IT NOW IT IS JUST A TRIAL SHE DID PUT ME ON THEIR WAITING LIST. I ALSO ASKED HER ABOUT BEING SWITCHED TO DISTAL AND SHE SAID THEY WERE PUTTING TOGETHER TO GET A TRIAL EXPERIMENT BUT THEY DIDN'T HAVE ENOUGH PATIENTS WANTING IT DONE SO SHE PUT ME ON THAT WAITING LIST ALSO. HER NAME IS DR. VALERIE HALPIN 4921 PARKVIEW PL #8C ST. LOUIS MO 63110 PHNE 314-454-8877 HOURS 8AM TO 4:30PM CENTRAL STANDARD TIME. THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR INFO. GOOD LUCK TO YOU. GOD BLESS YOU! PAM
americanchild
on 1/2/06 3:45 pm - Dayton, OH
Veronica, Is this something that can be done in one visit or do you have to go in for testing and than come back for the procedure. This sounds like a great option but if you are out of state and have to make multiple trips that we be a pain. Americanchild
snazzytoes88
on 1/3/06 7:04 am - woburn, MA
Hi... someone here (Tammi) just told me that you have to have an Upper GI test first, plus a general pre-op visit. So it sounds like you'd have to come to Boston 3 times... maybe just 2 times. Apparently this is the only doctor doing it, though, so it might be worth it to travel. Tammi is happy with her results, and I can't wait to have it done, too!
TammiL
on 1/2/06 9:43 pm - Billerica, MA
Hi Veronica, I actually had this procedure done on Dec 13th 2005. I had the RNY back in 2001 and lost 180LBS. I had gained back 50lbs and found out about Dr. Thompson at the Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston. Is this the Dr. that was mentioned in your article? The Procedure took less than an hour and I was sent home a few hours later. No Pain medicine. My throat and Jaw are the only places I was in pain but that went away in a day or so. It is truly amazing. I have acutally lost about 20lbs already. If you have any questions or if I can help in any way please let me know. Tammi Lawrence
americanchild
on 1/6/06 12:46 am - Dayton, OH
Hi Tammi, Can you tell us what is required to have this done. Was there testing required before hand or was it a one visit deal. I don't live in Boston anymore but am willing to go back for a visit, but don't want to have to make repeat trips. My pouch and stoma were stretched when I had to drink gallons of gastrographin (radioactive solution for x-ray imaging) when I had a bowel obstruction in 2001. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks, Americanchild
TammiL
on 1/6/06 1:18 am - Billerica, MA
Hello Americachild, The only testing that I had done was an upper GI. The endoscopic procedure was scheduled even before I had that done. They new I had a problem because I gained weight. Dr. Thompson said that sometimes they can not tell what the problem is just from the upper GI, so that is part of the reason for the endoscopic procedure, the can look lower and fix the problem right then. So as far as appointments go, I had the initial appointment, the upper GI, pre-op, and will be going for my post op on January 9th. I don't know what the follow up is after that. I think you might just use your PCP for that. I did have a bit of nausea when I come out of anesthesia, dry heaving on the car ride home that night. The pain I had from the surgery was minimal. When I got home that night my throat was a little soar, but the next day it was VERY soar, along with the sides of my neck, jaw, and a little tender in the belly area. But that only lasted a day or so. I have felt great ever since, and no issues, I am on the pureed food stage right now. Please let me know if there is anything else that I can help with. Best of Luck, Tammi
fradycat007
on 1/10/06 9:02 am - MEMPHIS, TN
I CALLED Dr. Thompson at the Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston AND I SPOKE WITH THE RECEPTIONIST AND SHE TOLD ME THE ONLY WAY I COULD MAKE AN APPOINTMENT IS THAT I WOULD HAVE TO CONTACT MY INSURANCE COMPANY TO SEE IF THEY COVER THIS PROCEDURE..IS THIS PROCEDURE CONSIDERED AS A REVISION SURGERY? THE RECEPTIONIST COULDN'T QUOTE A PRICE FOR THIS PROCUDURE OVER THE PHONE. SHE SCHEDULE AN APPOINTMENT FOR ME IN JUNE. HEY TAMMI CAN YOU PLEASE PROVIDE US WITH MORE DETAILS. THIS IS SOMETHING I AM REALLY CONSIDERING..... THANKS KMASON
Most Active
Recent Topics