Breast reduction before or after?

turnbough7
on 3/30/06 6:47 am - AL
Okay, this is confusing! I started looking into having a breast reduction before looking into having a revision. I have DD, lots of back/neck pain, and I can't work out comfortably. The plastic surgeon told me that she could make me a B (which I am fine with) but that it was close so don't lose any weight just yet. Well, today, I got a call from her that it was approved. She actually was going to work me in for surgery tomorrow because I have been waiting a while on approval. I told her the situation, how I am looking into revision, and asked her what I should do. So, if I wait to have the breast reduction after I have lost weight, insurance might not cover it if I loose weight in my boobs AND if I do it before the current approval runs out but AFTER I have lost weight, then they may end up being TOO small (an A). The plastic surgeon says to have it now. I asked her what would happen to my boobs if I had the reduction now and then lost a lot of weight. She said they MIGHT get smaller and droop a little, but that we could fix that IF it happened. In a situation before with another patient, she said insurance covered for her to tighten loose skin after weight loss after reduction and that she could do that with me and then I could self pay for implants if I were too small. I don't want to be a DD or even a D - they are so much in the way and hurt but I don't want to be an A either. I am also worried about insurance approving another big surgery - could this affect it? I don't want to go through with the breast reduction if it might jeapordize my having a revision. Thoughts/Suggestions from anyone would be greatly appreciated.
(deactivated member)
on 3/30/06 10:02 am - Brampton, Canada
I had breast reduction several years ago after losing 140 lbs. I am also going to have a revision. How much weight did you lose? You are planning a revision so have you gained back some weight? If so how much? Also how much do you need to lose to reach a practical goal weight? I can give you better feedback if I know more about you. Donna A.
turnbough7
on 3/30/06 1:18 pm - AL
Wow - 140 lbs - that's great!!! I originally lost from 272 down to 193, I think. Now, I am at 210-215 or so. I would like to be at 130-140 but would settle for 150. Have you gained, too? Is that why you are having a revision? Thanks for your help! Tabatha
Ms. Cal Culator
on 3/31/06 11:38 pm - Tuvalu
I had the LapBand and problems and regained almost every pound I had lost (which was only about 60 pounds) and went ahead and had the breast reduction while MO. I am DELIGHTED with that decision. I went from a DD cup to a generous C. I have since had a revision from band to DS. I am also DELIGHTED with THAT decision. I've lost 65 pounds in four months and hope to lose another 60. I will absolutely need my TT revised (also had that done while MO and am glad that stuff isn't still swinging and slapping and flapping in the breeze), and I will need a bit of a revision on the boobs. The PS seems to think I'll want implants. HA HAHAHA HA HA HAHAHA HA HA HAHAHA HA HA HAHAHA HA. I started wearing a D-cup in 1963 and stayed there or bigger until 2005. For me, and I'll be 60 on my next birthday, I love these cute little perky things that point straight ahead and I also love seeing the floor. Good luck on your choices! Sue
greenedot
on 4/3/06 10:35 am - Eva, AL
Tabatha, I had Breast reduction two years before my bypass. I was and am still pleased with the work. Yes, I did lose some in size, however. They are still perky and pointing forward.(yeah) Who did your bypass? Are they going to do your revision? I live in North Alabama and had RNY 1995 and have regained alot of my weight. Cindy
turnbough7
on 4/3/06 11:23 am - AL
Hey Cindy! Thanks for the info! I have decided to go ahead and have the breast reduction and am scheduled for April 28th. I am so excited! Dr. Scott Pennington did my first surgery, and if I get to have the revision, he will be doing it. I go for my barium swallow in the morning and the endoscopy on Thursday. Will be good to find out what the heck is allowing me to gain weight. Thanks again! Tabatha
Most Active
Recent Topics