Revision Approved

(deactivated member)
on 4/5/06 10:52 pm - Fairborn, OH
I just got called yesterday and found out my revision was approved. I had RNY and am getting revised into something closer to a DS. Surgery is scheduled for 1 May. I'll be glad to get it done and over with! Kim Poole
turnbough7
on 4/6/06 4:30 am - AL
I am so happy for you! May 1 is just around the corner, too. Did you get approved on your first shot? What do you mean by "into something closer to a DS?" I have read alot about DS but not sure if my doctor would do it or if it is the best thing for me. Can you tell me why you decided to have it done instead of just a redo RNY? Thanks! GOOD LUCK, TOO! T
(deactivated member)
on 4/6/06 7:32 am - Fairborn, OH
Well, it won't be a normal DS because normally if you have the DS (which has a high malabsorption rate) then they generally don't make the stomach as small. Since I already have an RNY, with a small stomach, they won't be bypassing as much intestines, so it won't be a full DS or full RNY, but something in the middle. I originally chose the RNY first because I was afraid of the long-term side effects of DS. But now I have a stretched stoma, and a weight gain of 30 pounds, so the DS is the better way to go. However, at the time, my insurance wouldn't have paid for DS anyway, so I really didn't have an option. Right now, a 'revision' can be anything the doctor wants to do, so he has more leeway. Thanks for the good wishes.
(deactivated member)
on 4/8/06 10:51 am - TX
Congratulations! Who is your DR and where are you going to have this done? Also, what type insurance do you have? I also have a failed RNY and am looking into revision.
(deactivated member)
on 4/9/06 7:08 am - Fairborn, OH
My Dr is Dr. John Maguire at Miami Valley Hospital (Premier Bariatric Assoc) in Dayton, Ohio. I have Aetna (federal) insurance and they've been great, approving both my original surgery and revision on the first request. But I think the federal plan is different from the regular plan - not sure.
RobinH
on 4/6/06 12:17 pm - Mustang, OK
Congrat's!!!!! Mine is the 24th. I wish I could have the DS. I would have had to go to Nebraska and my husband put a nix on that. Oh well, I found a doctor that I really like in Tulsa and does a distal. Anyway, I wish you the best of luck!! Robin
(deactivated member)
on 4/9/06 7:09 am - Fairborn, OH
I wish I would've had the DS from the start - I've been hearing too much lately about 'failed' RNYs from stoma or other problems. I feel like this will give th eopportunity to lose the rest of the weight - still have about 80 pounds to go.
Most Active
Recent Topics