waarce’s Posts

waarce
on 12/12/23 6:36 pm
Topic: RE: 18 years after my RNY

I did go through with the revision. It was done on September 12, and since then I have lost a total of 72 lbs. My kidney functions improved after the surgery so it bought me sometime before undergoing a transplant. I did lost enough weight to qualify for the transplant but I want to lose more weight. Thank you for reaching out.

waarce
on 7/31/23 5:43 pm
Topic: RE: 18 years after my RNY

Have not been here in a long time. Currently I am suffering from kidney failure and need to lose weight so I can qualify for a kidney transplant. My nephrologist referred for consultation with the bariatric surgeon for an evaluation and, a whole bunch of blood tests, urging tests and poop test were done. I am trying to get this expedited because I don't know for how long my kidneys will continue to work. I do have a living donor but, can be considered for a transplant if the transplant center doesn't clear me. I had my gastric bypass in 02/2005 and low over 175 pounds. Those were the best times but then I started to gain weight again until I reached a high of 293 lbs. So in order to have a life saving kidney transplant I need to lose a whole bunch of weigh. I did lose 34 pounds on my own but is still not enough. The only I know is that I have made and paid my funeral arrangements since I don't know if I am going to survive. I am pushing to have the revision sooner rather than later so I can try to get a transplant.

waarce
on 1/12/07 7:59 pm
Topic: RE: Anyone have Kaiser...Any suggestions?
It takes an act of congress just to get Kaiser nowadays to even authorize the RNY, the chances of a rervision are as best dim.  Now if the operation was flawed and caused other  problems there may be a possibility.  However, failure to lose weight may not be a good enough criteria, even with comorbidities.  There is an expectation at Kaiser that you change your eating habits and lifestyle, if you did not do that, then the going is to be difficult.  They will probably make you go thru their liquid diet program.  It would be a good idea to have your Dr. to have a contrast study to see the size of your pouch. I have heard of some people seeking revisions that their pouches still as small as of the first day of the original surgery and the only thing they needed was to stick to the protocol.  Once they did, they were able  to lose the excess weigth.   Best wishes and good  luck.
waarce
on 6/1/05 11:06 am
Topic: RE: Considering revision
Thanks for not being mean. It is true, I am "newbie", but after having a brush with death as a result of my WLS, and the prospect of having to be opened up to "revise" the surgery, I can speak by experience. After spending 2 days in ICU and an additional 7 days in the hospital looking at the prospect of having to have it done again (WLS) is something to ponder about, don't you think? By the way, my surgeon indicated that the risks of life threatening complications were much greater on the planned revision than when I had the surgery the first time around. Further, I lurk around this board because I almost had to have WLS once again to save my life. It was not fun, it was scary, but thanks God the problem was resolved without the need for further surgery. Just the idea of not being able to see my children again and not meeting my new baby on the way, was at best terrifying. We all shall not take surgery as a walk in the park, it is something to think long and hard. Furthermore, I am still in danger of having to have it redone (WLS), not because I failed to lose weight, but because there maybe a physiological problem caused by the surgery that does not allow me to eat solids, I am already almost 4 months out and I am still in the pureed/soft food stage. Would I like to submit to another surgery like this? Not in my lifetime if I can help it. I wish you the best in your endevours, take care, good luck, and God bless.
waarce
on 6/1/05 6:10 am
Topic: RE: Considering revision
Instead of considering a revision (higher complication risks), you should go back to basics. What made you gain all of the weight back? Did started eating the wrong foods? Are you an emotional eater (it sounds like that by the tone of your letter)? Did you stop exercising? Start with Stage One, then two, then three, etc.... Start replacing one of your meals with a protein shake, stop eating carbs (are evil) and sugars. Believe it or not, most WLS patiens are on their own, most only seeing the surgeons once a year, if not at all. You have assume responsibility for your actions and see where did you fail. WLS is just a tool, and regardless what kind of surgery you had to still have to work at it. We are all humans, and we all make mistakes, but we need to learn from those and find a happy medium that we can live with. I know that when I reach my goal weight is not a license to over eat or eat the wrong things. It is a point to reassess what needs to be done in order to keep the weight down. Don't get discouraged and trie once again, remember your stomach still much smaller than before the surgery, it just a matter of discipline. Good luck, take care and God bless.
waarce
on 5/30/05 1:48 am
Topic: RE: my surgeon said he would not do revision
Let me tell you about revisions. Some doctors will not do it because they have a greater risk of complications, including death. I think you should go back to basics, you know the protein shakes, and forgo those things that are making you not lose the necessary weight (carbs and sugar). You should exercise more if you aren't exercising enough or none at all. You should concentrate in aerobics and cardio type of exercise. WLS requires that you do these things in order to achieve your WLS goals. You need to do this for the rest of your life in order to lose weight and keep it off. Remember that WLS is just a tool, the rest is up to you. Good luck, and God bless.
Most Active
Recent Topics