When can I have a salad???!!!

findingdanielle83
on 9/25/09 12:47 pm
I am 4 weeks post-op and I am craving a salad... When did any of you start eating lettuce and how did it agree with you?..
Cynthia R.
on 9/25/09 12:50 pm - Montgomery, AL
I was allowed to eat lettuce at 6 weeks out.  It didn't bother me at all.  Just remember if you eat a salad, make sure there is plenty of protein in it...ham, turkey, cheese, nuts, bacon, etc. 

H/S/C  314/310/145.0

wyoctry
on 9/25/09 2:13 pm - Riverton, WY
I had my first salad this week.. and used Shreds..

It was so yummy.  Shredded lettuce, shredded carrots.. topped with some warm chopped up turkey breast and ranch dressing.  Made more than I could eat.. o'well.  still yummy!  :)

Jasmine130
on 9/25/09 2:41 pm - Redwood City, CA
I hear you.  I really craved salads soon after my surgery.  I had my first salads at 6 weeks out and didn't have any problems.  But, like with introducing any new foods, proceed with caution :).  And yes -- protein first!  Nice thing is, I found I can eat a nice volume of salad because the lettuce, etc., is mainly water.

-Jasmine
BELOW GOAL! Proud and Grateful Member of the Double Century Club
Pre-Op/Current/Initial Goal:  354/127.5/150
Tummy Tuck and Lower Body Lift Done on 05/11/2009
Mastopexy with Augmentation and Brachioplasty Done on 10/08/2009
 I  My RNY!

Kelly S.
on 9/25/09 10:09 pm

My nut let me have it after six weeks.  Just remember that you can eat more lettuce than you can chicken, but you still need to fit your protein in.  I usually have a protein shake later when I have salad, I just enjoy eating that big plate full! Had it last night at Ruby Tuesday, yummy.

20 pounds lost during two week pre-op diet.

AshleyDillo
on 9/25/09 11:01 pm - Tallahassee, FL
I was cleared for raw veggies at 8 weeks out.  Just was warned to be careful with the skins on some of them.  Cucumbers and tomatoes never tasted so good in all my life!

RNY: 7/2009

HW:  361   SW: 320  CW:  157.6

sylvie_55
on 9/25/09 11:19 pm - Palmyra, WI
I was about 6 weeks out but I found that iceberg lettuce at first was hard on my pouch so I used romaine and spinach.  I can eat iceberg now but I prefer better.

And everyone is right--make sure the protein is on there.  As far as dressing, watch the amount and fat free usually has much more sugar.  My mother who is diabetic ate fat free and her sugar levels would go thru the roof but if she ate a small amount of light or regular, they were better.  Your tastes will have changed--I actually like balsamic vinegar dressing now where I would load up full fat 1000 island.  I still like 1000 island but I don't use much.
 HW:  407  SW:  386  CW:  202
RNY Surgery Date:  7-9-08
Dr. Manfred Chaing, Bariatric Institute of WI

alyst18
on 9/26/09 1:10 am - MN
I had surgery on June 16 and could eat raw veggies and fruit starting August 1.  I started with fruit and then started with veggies 1 week after that.  Lettuce totally agrees with me and I use it as a wrap for lots of my meals.  This way I'm getting my protein in and the lettuce craving I want as well.  Lettuce was hard to digest for me before surgery, but I just chew lots now.  This is the go to as well when I go out for dinner.  Add one veggie at a time...  I found out at the start that grapes and I didn't get along, so I stopped eating them.  Just had some this morning and so far they are agreeing with me!  Don't do too many veggies at one time!  Good luck!  I was with you, I had never wanted a salad more than after surgery!!!

Pre-op/day of surgery/current/goal
416/389/205/190
poet_kelly
on 9/26/09 1:16 am - OH
I was not allowed salad until three months post op.  What does your plan say?

Kelly
Mary C.
on 9/26/09 1:48 am - Glovertown, Canada
I really LOVE salad - so waited about 3 months before trying it. I just wanted it to go down well - which it did. Certain things - I waited quite a while before trying - popcorn was another. Eggs - still don't do them. Just make sure you add protein to your salad - chechen, cheese, sunflower seeds - whatever works for you. Good luck - and enjoy!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 439 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 394 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 332 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 431 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 332 views