Magnesium citrate the day before surgery...

ogradysc
on 11/2/09 6:22 am - Shawnee, KS
Did you have to drink this stuff to help clean out you bowels?  I drank mine about an hour ago and I feel like I have the flu now. I've only had the tiniest of bowel movements but I feel like I am about to throw up at any second.  I feel horrible.  I'm trying to drink some broth to see if that will help.  How long is this nauseous feeling going to last?  I keep getting goosebumps and chills and I feel awful!!!  How much longer...
Candice - Lap RNY 11-03-09

PuggyDawn S.
on 11/2/09 6:24 am - San Antonio, TX
It took me 2 hours of that "crappy" feeling before the skids kicked in.  Then I was on the can every 15-30 mins., BLOWING UP!

Saddle up, you're in for a very long night!   So sorry!

Dawn

pugbunny2-small.jpg picture by PuggyDawn Happy Easter ~"bawk bawk"
check out my weight loss video
:
  http://tinyurl.com/aqbbq4

ogradysc
on 11/2/09 6:31 am - Shawnee, KS
did it make you feel like you were going to throw up?  this is a nightmare...i have three kids i gotta take care of and i feel like i'm about to start hurling everywhere...i almost want to just to get this crap out of my stomach!  diarrhea i can deal with, the nausea not so much...

PuggyDawn S.
on 11/2/09 6:36 am - San Antonio, TX

YES!!!  VOMIT CITY!!!!

I felt the same as you....want to barf, just to feel better.

Hang in there!
Dawn

pugbunny2-small.jpg picture by PuggyDawn Happy Easter ~"bawk bawk"
check out my weight loss video
:
  http://tinyurl.com/aqbbq4

clsino
on 11/2/09 6:36 am
The nauseous feeling should get better as time goes by.  But be prepared to spend the rest of the night close to the bathroom. 

Christy
Montano
on 11/2/09 7:11 am - Sunny Central, CA
I guess I missed out on this 'fun'. My surgeon had me do nothing special before surgery. I wonder what purpose it serves if some surgeons do it and others don't ?
ravengrrl
on 11/3/09 1:32 am - Thornton, CO
On November 2, 2009 at 3:11 PM Pacific Time, Montano wrote:
I guess I missed out on this 'fun'. My surgeon had me do nothing special before surgery. I wonder what purpose it serves if some surgeons do it and others don't ?
A lot of surgeons require it and a lot don't.  It's done to protect you from the bacteria and what not in your bowels on the off chance they are cut or nicked during surgery.  If waste were to leak out, you could end up with a serious issue like your blood going septic and a nasty infection.  My doc didn't require it, but it was an option.  I went ahead and did it just in case.

http://theincredibleshrinkingfattie.wordpress.com/ H/W: 375, S/W: 300, C/W: 285

tamalam
on 11/2/09 8:38 am - Seattle, WA
It was THE WORST.  My surgeon has his patients drink it two days prior, then only rehydrate with clear fluids on the day before surgery.  I remember that awful stuff, though- I couldn't get the stupid metal cap off, so I had to poke a hole in the top.  That then sent metal shavings into the drink, so I had to filter it through a paper towel.  It stained my hands red (I chose cherry flavor) so that it looked like I was bleeding, stained my countertop ****il I bleached it)... UGH!  

That was, of course, just the beginning.  For me it took about 45 minutes, and then I literally just sat on the toilet at one point for about two hours.  When I was able to get out of the bathroom I'd end up back in there every 10-20 minutes.  I kind of wanted to die.

That said, my doc said my innards were about as perfect as could be when he got in there to get to work, so it was worth it.

And, I know everyone is different, but just take this awful toilet-escapade as preparation, because when I had my first bowel movement at the hospital it was the most disqusting, LOUD, gaseous, SMELLY, and horrible toilet time I have ever had.  I sat on the toilet for 90 minutes, at times nothing coming out, at times pure liquid, at times gas so powerful that it was painful as it escaped me.  Praise God, for me I've only had diarrhea once since then and I've never had the problems with being afraid to fart like so many others, but that day after surgery pain-fest was even worse than the magnesium citrate.

And, honestly, once you have the surgery- for me, at least- the prepwork, which was so consuming pre-op, is all but forgotten.  In fact, until I just saw your post, I forgot that I ever had to do the bowel prep, and I'm only two months out!
"So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." [I Corinthians 10:31]

The name's Tami :)  Check out my blog and my twitter!

376            /             350           /    255      /     58.9      /       39.9          /   121
Highest (2/09)Surgery (9/09) / Current  / High BMI / Current BMI
/ Lbs Lost

Billmac92
on 11/2/09 9:37 am - Visalia, CA
It should end in about 3 weeks! Liquid in you get liquid out!
ogradysc
on 11/2/09 10:06 am - Shawnee, KS
Well, the nausea seems to have passed.  Now I feel like I'm starving with the grumbling tummy.  Yep, I've been a toilet jockey tonight...it's not like I have anything else to do preparing for being gone two days.  Oh well.  We have 3 1/2 baths...never one too far away!  LOL  Thanks for the advice.  I know this wasn't anything in comparison...just wondered what I was in for.  Well, I guess I'll see you all afterwards!!!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 445 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 400 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 334 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 435 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?