What do I do about my best friend's jealousy?

mrsnate
on 6/13/10 4:29 am
VSG on 04/27/12
I'm so glad to know I'm not the only person who's dealing with jealous friends/family.  My little sister is so jealous that I'm working toward this surgery, she actually said she isn't going to be able to be around me for a while when I start losing weight.  It totally breaks my heart.  I've been overweight since she was a tiny little teenager and she's jealous of me???  I agree that true friends shouldn't be jealous, but when it's my own sister, I don't know what to think.  To OP, I'm sorry you're dealing with this.  I hope that you can talk to him about this and he'll grow up a little.  To everyone else, I'm sorry that we're all dealing with this crap.  Our dreams should be positive, not ruined by jealousy.
harleymommy03
on 6/13/10 10:59 am - Bloomfield, IN
Im having almost the same issue! My friends are all jealous of my weight loss right  now and have all started dieting which is great. The problem is my one friend who I did weigh****chers with 3 years ago and lost all the weight with gained all of her weight back too. When I finally got my date for my surgery she "started dieting again". Now anytime I get excited about my weight loss I have to hear about how she is doing this the "right" way and not the easy way. I am soooo tired of hearing this. She only started the "diet" so I wouldnt be getting all the attention.. Im not sure what to do about her or anyone else so I have been keeping my mini milestones to myself 48 pounds since my 2nd weigh in.. and 11 inches off my waist in almost 7 weeks. No I also have to hear about her stupid shape up shoes non stop just so she has something to brag about!!  We took our kids to an indoor water park and she wouldnt let me eat so i didnt affect her diet.. even tho she pigged out all weekend!! So im done venting just needed to get this all of my chest before I exploded on her!! Thanks for listening!!
Mary .
on 6/13/10 9:44 pm, edited 6/13/10 9:46 pm - TN

Get another go-to person ASAP!

Seriously. If you don't, I am afraid that you are going to get your feelings really hurt. You don't have to just throw him under the bus (as in announce that you are getting a better support person), but you can quietly look around and find some place else to take your concerns to. May people have found angels right here on this board, as a matter of fact. 

If he is already asking you if there isn't something else you can talk about, how much support is he going to be when you actually HAVE to talk about it? 

You deserve better than this. Promise. 

Edited to add: 

I just read the part where you mentioned that it is hard to make friends because people think you are mean. How funny!! I have problems with that, too, only not as much as I used to. For me, that came from being a little too sensitive and afraid of rejection. It's a lot better now as I have more confidence, but I still have to be careful. 

It doesn't help that I (or so I've been told) have a naturally cranky-looking face. LOL 

Most Active
Recent Topics