ulcers on tongue...vitamin deficiency

poet_kelly
on 12/30/10 10:51 am - OH
I agree with going back to BA since it worked well before.

I would also want a complete set of labs right now, though, to make sure nothing else is low.  If it is low, you would need to add additional amounts of whatever it is to get back up to normal, just the BA would not likely do it.

What are you doing to bring the B12 up?  Really, you need the number to figure out what to do and how much.

I've learned the hard way - always, always get the numbers.

Kelly
ladybugnessa
on 12/30/10 10:04 am - Owings Mills, MD
I have one friend who has not had WLS and my husband and I both just finished up over a week of canker sores/mouth ulcers.

I have had them occasionally since i was a kid....  

my vitamin levels are fine.... sometimes they just happen.
Nessa
Ticker is from Day of Surgery.. weight goal is personal preference as I've MET my doctor's goal

--

HG/SW/CW/GW
286/253/150/151

swell2205
on 12/30/10 10:21 am
I have horrible canker sores in the same spots you are talking about, I would rather waste away than eat anything when they are bad. But what I figured out causes them 50% of the time is using highly flouridated tooth paste, or the sensitive tooth kind, the one the dentist sells as a prescription paste and/or a highly flouridated mouth wash...

I know it sounds weird but I can only use that for 3-5 days on and then 2-3 weeks off.

Sarah

totmom1234
on 12/30/10 11:01 am
Please don't slam me for sounding like I'm off my rocker, but do you by any chance come into contact with young children??  There's a viral infection which can cause something called Hand, Foot, and Mouth disease.  In young children, blisters will appear on the palms of the hands, the soles of the feel, and on the toungue/in the mouth.  In adults, the blisters are often just on the tongue/in the mouth.  I had this a few years ago (along with my youngest son).  It came on very suddenly, as you described, and the blisters were exactly where you described them.  Because it's viral, there's really nothing do do but wait for it to pass (about a week), but there was a "magic mouthwash" that my doctor prescribed & it really helped with the pain.  I believe that the mouthwash was basically liquid lidocaine (prescription) + maalox (mix them together at home, once you have the prescription), although you can find several different recipes on the internet. And you don't swallow the stuff, just swi**** around in your mouth, so it would be ok for you to use it.

Even if what you have isn't viral, the mouthwash might help with the pain until you can get your vitamins straightened out.  Not good that your doctor didn't recommend something like this.  Blisters on the tongue are SO painful!!

HW: 270/ CW: 139.0/ GW: 135
40 lbs lost prior to surgery
RNY surgery date: 1-19-11

turningpoint
on 12/30/10 11:13 am
The suddenness & # of ulcers, kind of rules out the "it just happens sometimes". 

I do not come into contact with young children.  There were a few at the family Christmas, but I didn't interact with them.  Dr. did consider the viral cause, but felt the vitamin deficiency was much more likely the cause.

I did get an Rx for the liquid lidocaine....rather than mouthwash, I just apply it to the ulcers with a Qtip. 

Emily
HW/SW/GW/CW
249/236/135/133.6  
maggieandrockysmo
mma

on 1/1/11 1:23 am
just an FYI...
I am presurgical and I also have vitamin b-12 deficiency and developed sores in my mouth.   Labs were done when I went to PCP because my mouth was so sore, as I guess this commonly happens according to my PCP and turned out fine, but when I was at my dentist a few days later, he thought maybe my mouth was too dry because having a dry mouth all the time can also cause sores.  Dry mouth can be from medications or not drinking enough or a c-pap machine he said.  He recommended using biotine mouth wash and toothpaste, and since I started using it in november, the sores have improved greatly... maybe the biotine can help things feel a little better or maybe depending on how your labs come out, it may not be a deficiency causing them

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 488 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 391 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 403 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 226 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 118 views
A Year and a Month Out Already.