Help...what are the BEST tasting Protein Drinks for the Liquid phase (3 wks after surgery)?

wufpackerfan
on 2/13/11 5:14 am - Garner, NC

Scheduled for RNY on March 2nd and am beginning to look around for items I'll need after surgery.  I'm looking at buying protein drinks now.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what are the BEST TASTING protein drinks out there available for use after surgery during the 3 week liquid diet???

Also how many protein drinks do you have to drink daily?  Is it 3 (breakfast, lunch, dinner)?

Boost HIGH PROTEIN is on our "list" of protein drink options, but these protein drinks also have 27 grams of sugar instead of the recommended 15-20 grams of sugar.  Yes, it provide more protein than the recommended 13 grams but was wondering if the sugar level would be a problem.  Not sure that the HIGH PROTEIN BOOST drinks are a "real" option due to the sugar level.  Any one use them and find them okay after surgery??

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks for your help!!!!!    

"Nothing tastes as GOOD and being HEALTHY FEELS!" 

RNY (3/11)   Age: 45  Height: 5'5"  &  NO plastic surgical procedures                                                      Starting weight: 270  Lowest weight: 132  Goal weight: 135  Current weight: 138.8 

Bralen
on 2/13/11 5:28 am
On my program the Boost would have too much sugar and too little protein. I am using Body Fortress from Wal-Mart right now, on my pre op liquid diet. 1 gram of sugar and 26 grams of protein. My protein goal is 70 grams per day.
Start weight 263     Surgery weight 247  
nightbird
on 2/13/11 5:33 am - Bowie, MD
Our favorite is the BSN Synthra6 and Lean Dessert proteins.  Vitalady.com has samples at reasonable prices.  My favorite Synthra 6 is strawberry milkshake, chocolate milkshake and cookies and cream.  My favorite Lean Dessert is whipped cream...it is slightly thicker than syntra 6.  I usually flavor is sugar free syrups or sugar free pudding mixes and milk and ice.  I also love Click (available on Amazon) but it has espresso in it and I am over three years out.  Best of luck finding ones you like.  Everyone's taste is different so try samples first. 
BrowningH
on 2/13/11 5:36 am - OH
Please remember your taste buds will change post surgery!
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 2/13/11 5:43 am - OH
I'm surprised that they would put the high sugar Boost on your "approved" list.  Liquids with too much sugar will make you dump even more quickly (in terms of time) and more strongly because it goes right through the pouch into the intestines.

Taste is VERY subjective when it comes to protein drinks, and the smell and texture often come into play as well.  I would suggest that you go out to Vitalady.com and order a bunch of different samples so that you can find out what YOU like rather than trust what anyone else likes.  As someone else mentioned, something you like now may make you gag after surgery.  I don't know why it happens, but it frequently does.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Perfumesheep
on 2/13/11 7:19 am - CT
RNY on 11/01/10 with
My fave was GNC AMP in strawberry yummy and no protein taste, a favorite of bodybuilders for muscle (those are the people to trust because they have tried everything and want zero carbs)
hazelnut6
on 2/13/11 7:20 am
I liked the Atkins shakes during my first post op phase...the milk chocolate and strawberry.  The vanilla is good but the consistancy was too thick for me...so I diluded it with skim milk and then it was okay.  You can find them the cheapest at Walmart..approx $5 for a 4 pack.
Bootssie
on 2/13/11 7:55 am - CA
RNY on 12/17/10 with
My favorite is Optimum Nutrition. They have a million flavors and I can never taste the protein. It's 24 grams of protein per scoop, 1 sugar, 120 calories and 3 carbs. You can get samples of some of the flavors from Vitalady.

Shannon D.
on 2/13/11 9:09 am - Columbus, OH
For on the go convenience...I just got hip to Pure Protein Shakes.  They are in a can sold seperately at trader joe's.  I think Target has them too.  They come in Vanilla or Chocolate.  21g or 35g. (The 35g are $2.29 each...i know (yikes!) but the convenience is what I need sometimes) I'm 22weeks post-op and drink 2 (35g shakes) daily and eat more protein to put me over 100 daily.
RNY 9/13/2010, pre-op/current/goal---> 360/260/180
Best Wishes!
-Shannon 

StillHopefulinAZ
on 2/13/11 10:08 am
I seen muscle milk light pre made shakes at costco today.  Anyone tried those?  Didn't want to buy a case and they are disgusting.  I like the body fortress chocolate made with warm skim milk but could use some pre made for my late mornings.
Banded 10/05/07 Dr Lopez Corvala Tijuana Mexico
Lapband removal 10/07/10 Dr Juarez Phoenix, AZ
RNY 12/13/10 Dr Juarez Phoenix, AZ

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 447 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 402 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 336 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 435 views