Popcorn & Fast Food List

happyhealing
on 3/26/11 6:29 am
When or can we ever eat popcorn? 
A fast food list of what is accetable would be nice to have.  I know we are changing the way we eat, but if someone is out and about and needs to eat, it would be great to know already where to go, other than beans from Taco Bell.
ktharp89
on 3/26/11 6:43 am, edited 3/26/11 6:45 am - Gaithersburg, MD
There was an episode of Bariatric TV that talked about this. Episode three. I also tried the taco bell beans today and realized I would rather make my own. People also say Wendys chillis is good.

http://bariatrictv.com/
lynnc99
on 3/26/11 6:43 am
At 20 months out I have only sparingly sample popcorn. I steer clear of carbs as much as I can.

I do, however, travel for my job and end up eating out a lot. Here is a list of some of my "okay" fast food stops:

Subway:
Breakfast - egg white flatbread (set the bread aside or ask for it without bread)

Turkey breast sub made as a salad (ANY of their sub combinations can be ordered as salad). You won't eat nearly all of it, but start with the protein and go from there.

Wendy's:

Chili

Grilled chicken breast sandwich without mayo or sauce. (Set the bread aside).

Salad with grilled chicken.

Minute Maid Lite Lemonade

Burger King:

Angus Burger "Low carb" which is served in a container with lettuce, tomato, and onion. Ask for no other toppings or carry out packs of mustard so you can add your own. No bbq sauce, etc. BK will serve any sandwich "low carb" style. You probably will not be able to finish the full angus burger meat patty.

Some franchises also offer the Minute Maid LIte Lemonade

Hardees:

Also serves any burger or sandwich low carb style with a lettuce wrap. Here again, you probably will not be able to finish a whole burger. It is very dense protein.

Chick Fil A:

Grilled chicken sandwich - again, set aside the bread

Fruit salad

Salad with grilled chilcken on top

Diet Lemonade

Absent from my list is McDonalds. I have not ventured into their menu at all, and see little thre that is appealing to me.

Ambria
on 3/26/11 8:28 am, edited 3/26/11 8:28 am
Lynn, the only thing I can tolerate from McDonald's is the sugar free vanilla ice coffee. Then they have to make it right or it is too sweet. I have problems after surgery with things being too sweet now.

seashell6417
on 3/26/11 7:12 am - Gaylord, MN
Grilled chicken w/o the bun at any fast food joint.  Wendy's and Culver's have chili.  Almost all fast food places have side salads that you can add a chicken breast to (much smaller than a regular meal salad), pintos and cheese at Taco Bell, McD's grilled chicken snack wraps (if you can tolerate the tortilla).  I don't eat fast food burgers but I imagine a burger w/o the bun would do in a pinch.  Subway and most other sandwich shops have wraps and salads.
Tami

justine08
on 3/26/11 7:17 am

FROM EGGFACE'S BLOG:

In & Out Burger: "Protein-style" Single Cheeseburger with grilled onions (Protein style = wrapped in lettuce instead of a bun)

Taco Bell, Del Taco: Order of Pintos & Cheese/refried beans with a scoop of meat or chicken added

El Pollo Loco: Grilled Chicken Breast (single piece - they are huge) or $1 side salad minus tortilla strips & the $1 Chicken Taco El Carbon. I discard the tortilla and dump the chicken on the salad. Great meal for $2

McDonald's: Premium Caesar Salad with Grilled Chicken, no dressing (ask for salsa packets)

Carl's Jr: Cranberry, Apple, Walnut Grilled Chicken Salad (ax the walnuts if you are sensitive to sugars they are glazed) or they will wrap any of their burgers in lettuce. Just ask for the "Lettuce Wrap" version

Sbarro: Side of Meatballs or Sausage with Sauce

Wendy's: Chili

Jack in the Box: Denver Breakfast bowl minus the hashbrowns & white cheese sauce, Southwest Chicken Bowl or Teriyaki Chicken Bowl minus rice

Subway, Submarina, Quiznos: They will turn any of the subs into salads. Watch the dressings, ax the croutons/breadsticks/flat breads. I like Quiznos soup too

Starbucks: Egg White Whole Wheat Feta Wrap, Oatmeal, Protein Plate giveaway the date bread, Soy Lattes. Here's my Starbuck's Post WLS Guide.

Jamba Juice: Oatmeal w/ Banana

Chipotle: Burrito Bowl minus rice (this will feed an Army)

Baja Fresh: Tortilla Soup (minus tortilla strips)

Chick-fil-A: Chargrilled & Fruit Salad (newly discovered)

Diners, IHOP, Denny's: Scrambled Eggs with Cheese is my standard. If they have turkey sausage even better.

happyhealing
on 3/26/11 7:31 am
Thanks that is helpful.
poet_kelly
on 3/26/11 7:32 am - OH
Fast food -

Wendy's chili

Chili from other places, but read the nutritional info first

Baked potatoes from Wendy's or other places, but not often, 'cause of the carbs

Soup, from lots of places, but again, read the nutritional info first

Chipotle - skip the rice or get just a little, and skip the sour cream

Grilled chicken salads lots of places, but get low cal dressing

Grilled chicken sandwiches, you can take off the bun

Burger or cheeseburger without the bun, but only occasionally 'cause fastfood burgers aren't that healthy for you

Eggs, if it's a place that serves breakfast

For popcorn - once you're cleared for regular foods, but in moderation, and get the light kind or at least don't smother it with butter

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Alice P.
on 3/26/11 8:04 am
At Wendy's you can order a half salad with grilled chicken breast on it
 HW 278 SW 259 GW 170 CW 142 Ht 5ft 6

Ambria
on 3/26/11 8:25 am
I can only eat the movie popcorn, for some reason.  The one at the movie theater.  Any other, I can't.  I am sure it is the way it is air popped or something.  Strange though.  It took me about 7-8 months to tolerate it.

Most Active
Recent Topics