to tell or not to tell

Amerylus
on 3/27/11 11:58 am - CA
I would like to know if anyone has choosen not to tell there friend they are
having wls I told my family for the support but I do not know about friends.
glassgirl
on 3/27/11 12:13 pm
I did it differently.  I told my husband and sister (she's already had surgery) I didn't tell my kids and the rest of my family.  Two friends who work at a store we frequent have had the surgery too and have been very supportive and happy for me. 
I figure the less explaining I have to do... the better I like it!
AtHomeRN
on 3/27/11 12:15 pm
RNY on 01/31/11 with
That is such a personal decision, and I would think that it would depend from friend to friend.  I have not hidden my surgery from anyone, and I would never lie about it, but there were people who I did not tell unless they asked specifically.  I told those who I knew would be supportive.  If I thought they would argue...or try to talk me out of it...I did not tell them unless it came up specifically.
RNY 1/31/2011  
Highest weight - 369
Weight at initial consult - 346
SW-315/CW-235/GW-175
Ticker includes some pre-op loss.      
fleetsie
on 3/27/11 12:20 pm - Columbia, MD
I only told my parents and brother until I got the insurance approval (didn't want to jinx anything!) and then I told a few close friends.  After surgery I only told people when they asked how I was losing the weight.
HW 247  SW 232  GW 135

godsend213
on 3/27/11 12:21 pm - Fort Carson, CO
In my case, I told my immediate family I was having surgery but didn't tell anyone else until I got a date. I announced I was having surgery on my facebook page only because 99% of my family and friends live on the other side of the country, that's how we keep in touch. My friends like hearing about my progress and I NEED the support. It's been great, but it's really a personal desicion. I would tell people tho, just to avoid all the questions about how you lost the weight so fast.

I want to participate in life, not observe!  

Brenda C.
on 3/27/11 1:11 pm
I told very few people.  Some of my friends know, most do not.  If anyone asks me, I will tell them, otherwise, it is my business.

I do not really have much family anymore, so it wasn't a big issue.  I do not tell friends about my gyno visits, or other medical information, and that is kind of how I see my weight loss surgery.

If you are comfortable, tell.  If you aren't comfortable, don't.  When you start losing weight, they may ask questions, so be prepared.  In my case, I spent over a YEAR losing weight before surgery, so it has been a long process, not just the four months since I had my surgery.  Most of my friends know I am in some kind of support group about weight loss, but none have asked what the basis of the group is.  I am prepared to tell any of my friends about the surgery - if they ask me.

Hang in there, I am sure you already know YOUR answer - wink wink!
Brenda : )~
Shelly T.
on 3/27/11 2:25 pm
It is very very important to have a great support system so I told anyone who wanted to know or had questions, I figured it would be esier to weed out the non support system while I still had the strength to deal with the bs.
Post op your thoughts and emotions and focus will be all over the place and when you have a "man I screwed up i shoulda never done this surgery " day you need someone beside you pointing out how far you have come how strong you are and that it's just a bump in the road kind of moment , not someone who is going to say"well see this is why i told you NOT to do this i just knew you couldn't handle it or it was gonna be to hard or whatever self rightious speach they have in their head.
Ladytazz
on 3/27/11 3:09 pm
I told very few, only on a need to know basis. My kids, my sister (who had WLS 9 years ago), my daughter told my neighbor or I wouldn't have told her.
I am a revision and I told everyone who would listen. And then proceed to regain most of the weight I lost. I was so embarrassed and ashamed that I didn't want anyone to judge me. I just figured they would assume I would screw this up, too.
I have lost and gained weight so many times in the past that most people really don't know what to expect at any given time.
If someone asks I go into detail about what I am eating and that usually shuts them up.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

janet2921
on 3/27/11 3:39 pm - Chicago, IL
I told my immediate family.
I announced in my church's bulletin that I had surgery, but did not diclose the type of surgery. 
I worked in a very vicious workplace, so I only disclosed to EHS, supervisor and 1 co-worker.

Janet
"Respect the pouch & embrace the scale."

cent100

lynnc99
on 3/27/11 7:39 pm
This was a very personal decision for me, so I did not tell anyone but immediate family.

At work I said I was having surgery. They did not ask and I did not volunteer what kind. (They assumed it was a gyn procedure, I think.) I don't really socialize with co workers so there was no issue and n o need for added information.

Obviously I was losing weight but simply said I had some health issues flare up and was working closely with my doctor, a nutritionist, and had a personal trainer. All true.

Now, 20 months out, I realize that people have VERY short memories and just accept the way I eat now as "normal."

My support group is my family and those at the support group I attend. Others simply wouldn't get it. I was NOT in the market for uninformed opinions, negative input, or judgement.
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 333 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 371 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 332 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 21 replies · 223 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 101 views
Recent Topics