Interesting. "Pouch rules for dummies". Long, but informative...

keepitoff91
on 3/26/11 9:51 pm
http://www.amylhwilliams.com/pouchrulesfordummies.html

I hope the link works.  I read through this last night and thought it was pretty helpful for newbies and vets.
jenni93
on 3/26/11 10:19 pm
That was an amazing article.  I'm interested to know what the "vets" think about it.  Makes sense to me.
   SW:  285   GW:  155    CW:  143          

ohioh
on 3/27/11 12:16 am
RNY on 11/15/10 with
It will be very interesting to see what feedback you get because I know every plan has been told different things about how long to wait to drink after eating.  For example, I have been told not to drink for a half an hour before or a half an hour after I eat. That is very different than what this article says.   Good read!
hoping4june
on 3/27/11 12:41 am - MN
Thanks for sharing.
This is one I will save for the long run.
"What the caterpillar thought was the end of life, the butterfly realized was just the beginning!"

(deactivated member)
on 3/27/11 12:52 am - TX
Interesting. I have not been told all of the stuff abou****er loading - only not to drink after meals for thirty minutes. Those specific rules are kind of confusing.
johnsoca
on 3/27/11 2:06 am - Madison, AL
I think one of the most important things in the whole article is the copyright date at the bottom of the article. It was written over 30 years ago. WLS was done much differently then -- from reading the article you can tell the subject isn't RNY as we know it today, but the old-style stomach stapling. That surgery didn't involve any intestinal bypass. It was restrictive, but not malabsorptive. I would be very cautious about applying the "rules of the pouch" as stated in this article without discussing it in detail with your surgeon.

MsColorado
on 3/27/11 2:17 am
 My surgeon would not agree with that article. He wants us to eat 5-6 times per day, not only to control hunger but also to keep your metabolism humming. Also, no less than 75% of our mini-meals must be good quality protein. 

Newbies should listen to what their surgeons and nuts say rather than any internet article, I feel. 

TamaraL
on 3/27/11 2:38 am
I don't agree with a lot of the article.

I do eat every 3 1/2 to 4 hours and usually eat 4-5 meals/day.  I cannot go 5 hours most days between meals. 

I don't sip water throughout the whole day.  I do get in my 60 oz of fluid or more but I can drink more than 1 cup of liquid at a time.

I was told I could drink up to 30 minutes before my meal and no liquids with meals and then to wait 30 minutes before drinking before.  If you waited 1 1/2 hours after meal then you are never going to get all of your liquid in.

She makes it sound like post op patients should not exercise. Some people can lose without the exercise.  I have to exercise.  MY certified dietician says that you don't necessary need to exercise to lose the weight after gastric bypass but you need to exercise to keep the weight off!!

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 378 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 344 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 197 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 221 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 124 views
Recent Topics