why?

quest4
on 3/27/11 10:48 am
Why do we have to abstain from drinking after eating?

thx
Lady Lithia
on 3/27/11 10:51 am
1. In my case I vomit

2. It pushes the liquids through faster.. .over time this might stretch your stoma, which in many case = FAILED weight loss surgery, there are no good fixes for a stretched stoma at this time

3. When it pushes food through faster, that means that you will be hungry sooner, and hungry sooner means eating more which means regain.

Nearly ALL those who have significant regain mention that they drink with their meals. Some long term postops are successful and do drink with their meals, but it seems that nearly all (if not ALL) who are unsuccessful postop DO drink with their meals.

To me, it's just nto worth it.... I think it's a leading cause of regain.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

siberiancat
on 3/27/11 11:03 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN
Yep, for me I vomit, too.  I often have to wait longer - an hour or so.

Pam Tremble has good info on her site.  There is a video of applesauce in a funnel that slowly drips through the opening - add a little water and it drips faster, add more water and it drips faster yet, add a lot of water and it pours through.

A good video of what happens when we drink with food in our pouch.  When we have solid food - and if we didn't chew well enough - it can push these "chunks" through the opening - stretching it, emptying the pouch - we don't stay sated (satisfied) as long.  Not good.
 Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 347 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 233 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 340 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 270 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?