approval?

melissa22886
on 3/28/11 8:51 am
i seen my dr on the 21st for a tentative surgery date. i asked her how long it takes for approval she said the girl she goes through at horizon for hmo it takes about 3-4 days. i haven't heard from her and i log in to my account on horizon and check in referrals/authorizations and don't see anything but i'm not sure if that's even the place i should be checking. do you think i should call the surgeons office tomorrow? or would it be better to check w/ the insurance company? i'm afraid if i call horizon myself and ask it might screw something up lol.
Lady Lithia
on 3/28/11 9:11 am
Call the surgeon's office and ask them .....you might need to contact the insurance company

My surgeon's office had a very inefficient person doing this, and she wasn't sending the stuff into the insurance even though she kept saying she would send it in.

Finally, even though I think this is a BAD idea.... I sent the stuff in myself to insurance (it was followup to my original application six months before, when I was told to do the six month supervised diet)..... and I was approved almost instantly.

That person in my surgeon's office was SO BAD..... she also never applied for the insurance to compensate the surgeon for his work..... and when the oversight was finally noticed, it was beyond the limitations of the insurance compnay.... so the surgeon was never even paid for the surgery on me! (they tried to bill me, but I said, too bad, so sad, I paid my copay, live with it)

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

nfarris79
on 3/28/11 10:34 am - Germantown, MD
 I agree - phone stalk your surgeon's staff!! I'm starting to worry a little too, since the surgeon's staff told me they only submit 2 weeks before surgery. I have BCBS of Maryland and don't trust them as far as I can throw them.... and I'm a practitioner who accepts the same insurance!! I see how bad insurance companies can be for reimbursements and approval, so really never leave anything for chance. Much like Lady Lithia, I have been a paperwork fiend. While I never have sent anything directly to BCBS, I have copies of ALL my pre-op stuff as does the surgeon's office and my PCP's office. Yep, killing trees excessively but it's better to be too prepared than to be unplesantly surprised.

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

wisaluv
on 3/28/11 11:00 am - Pueblo, CO
My doc's office was amazing, they said it would take 2-3 weeks and they sent it in the day I was there for consult and after a week in a half the lady at my docs office thought it was taking too long so she called the insurance herself and got a verbal authorization then called me to set up my pre-op appointment.

So yes I say bug your docs office!  Its just money for them, I dont understand why they wouldnt want to send it in right away cause thats the sooner they get paid!
Day_dream_believer
on 3/28/11 12:42 pm
It took me 2 weeks to get approval even though most people with my insurance usually get approval in 3 or 4 days.  Come to find out the fax didn't reach my Dr for some reason.  I had been approved a week earlier. 

I would give your Dr. a call and ask them to look into it for you.
Most Active
Recent Topics