Finding a Protein Powder

Kim26
on 3/29/11 11:44 am
I am having surgery in about 3 weeks and I am beginning to try some different protein powders to see which ones I like. The problem is, the couple that I have tried so far make me feel so sick, I am getting worried. I order Chike samples - I tried the strawberry and banana - only a few sips...but then three or so hours later I started feeling so sick and bloated. :(  Then I went to GNC yesterday, and I was going to get the Zero Carb Isopure...but the guy talked me into the GNC Wheybolic Extreme 60...and again, I only had 4-5 sips and I felt so sick last night I could hardly sleep.

I am just mixing the powder with water, shaking in a blender bottle, giving in a few minutes to "settle" so I am not drinking a bunch of air bubbles.

Could it be the lactose?  Any thoughts would be most appreciated, as I am getting worried that I won't be able to handle the protein!

Thank you!!!!
Stacy4442
on 3/29/11 11:47 am
Since surgery I have a problem with lactose.  I carry lactaid with me all the time. 

I like the Unjury brand protein.  They are only on the web.  The two chocolate flavors are really good and the strawberry isn't bad.  I have not tried the chicken soup flavor.  I make mine in the blender and let it sit for a while.  Sometimes I throw in a few ice cubes.  I keep thinking to put in some yogurt but never remember.  

Kim26
on 3/29/11 11:57 am
Thank you, Stacy!  I usually don't have much problem with milk products, but I am willing to try a lactose free one to see if it makes a difference. Maybe I will order the sampler pack and see what happens! :)  Thanks again!
fleetsie
on 3/29/11 12:03 pm - Columbia, MD
I also prefer the Unjury ones out of any of them.  If you get their sample packet it contains all their flavors and also comes with a shaker bottle.  I like the Chocolate Splendor one the best.  I mix it with lactaid milk or almond silk.  I'm at week 6 and still not tired of the taste - it reminds me of chocolate milk!
HW 247  SW 232  GW 135

Kim26
on 3/29/11 12:28 pm
OK - well I will try it, and good idea for the lactaid milk and almond silk - Thank you!! :)
Sue M.
on 3/29/11 12:21 pm - Nantucket, MA
i survived post-op life on the Isopure Zero carb RTDs.  I just can't stomach any powders/shakes.  The closest I come to powdered protein is NSA Carnation Instant Breakfast, which I make with double the amount of skim milk.  I heat it and drink it like hot chocolate.

Not sure if these suggestions will help you, but I would recommend trying those clear Isopures as well, if for nothing else, variety!
Read my blog, BARIATHLETE   I run because I can.

First 5K race October 4, 2009   (34.59)  PR 5/22/11 (27:26)
First 5 Mile: January 1, 2011 (50:30)
First 10K: July 4, 2010 (1:03.26) New PR 4/10/11 (1:01.14)
First 10 Mile: April 11, 2010  (1:46.15)
First 1/2 marathon: June 13, 2010 (2:22.21)  PR: 5/1/11 (2:17.30)
First Marathon: October 16, 2011: 5:47:20

Goofy Challenge: January 7-8, 2012
If you think you can, you can.  If you think you can't, you're right. - Mary Kay Ash
Kim26
on 3/29/11 12:27 pm
Thank you!  Yes, on the sheet the Dr.'s office gave me mentioned Carnation Instant Breakfast / No Sugar Added, but with two scoops of dry milk added.  I was looking at it in the store today, and although it says no sugar added it seemed like it was higher in sugar and carbs, so I was a little leery of it...but it sounds like it works for you?
ktharp89
on 3/29/11 12:41 pm - Gaithersburg, MD
I have tried every protein on the planet it seems since my surgery and I hate everything. If you can stand it get some milk or almond milk or soy milk and put non fat dry milk in it and it will give you some good protein. I just ordered something called Protein Freeze. It is pretty expensive but I got it for 50% off. It is this kind of protein you can freeze and it becomes ice cream. Also you can microwave it and it will be like a brownie. I will let people know how it is when it arrives.

https://www.proteinfreeze.com/
https://www.proteinfreeze.com/discount.cgi
Height - 5'8  - SW - 292/ CW - 177.6 /GW - 150 - BMI - 27.1 - 114.4 lbs lost!
"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore" Vincent Van Gogh
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

TXDiva27
on 3/29/11 2:06 pm - Fort Benning, GA
I have learned that with protein powders you have to mix them with a fruit shake or something else besides water because they taste aweful and will make you sick. Congrats on your upcoming surgery, Mine is APril 12th and I am so excited!
Teresa D.
on 3/29/11 5:25 pm - Peachland, NC
Hey there,,,

Unjury-hands down!  I mix with Hoods low carb, low calorie milk (3 carbs, 45 calories) and add a pack of splenda.  I got me a shaker bottle from GNC to mix it up.  I drink on the way to work.  Love it.  I have tried a lot of them but Unjury is by far the best.  I also use a lot of the protein bullets as they are quick and easy.  May want to ask your doc about the sick feeling. 
Teresa D.    
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 341 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 373 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 338 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 262 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 132 views