Dry Hands

Joanne M.
on 3/31/11 9:24 am - VA
RNY on 03/16/11 with
Hi everyone -

I'm 2 weeks out and noticed that I have a strange rash or dry skin on the back of my hands.  I'm doing all my liquids, vits, protein.  It doesn't itch but I'm just wondering if anyone got this.  Doesn't matter what lotion I use still very dry and never had this before.

Thanks.

Joanne

grmadeb01
on 3/31/11 9:35 am - FL
you may be throwing toxins out of your body so quickly that your liver and such can not handle it all, so sometimes this happens...i have no proof of this, but i would call your dr just to make sure, have you added any new medicines?
not sure if this was helpful or not
debby
Joanne M.
on 3/31/11 9:41 am - VA
RNY on 03/16/11 with
Just the previcide and I'm still on the blood thinner shots.  Last one tomorrow.  I'll call tomorrow and see if any of those would cause this.  Thanks.  Joanne

(deactivated member)
on 3/31/11 9:46 am - TX
I have the same problem, started week two. I was attributing it to not getting enough fluids but it doesnt seem to matter how much lotion I pit on or anything.
kellylamb1
on 3/31/11 9:46 am
I had very dry skin and stomach and my hair it lasted a few weeks
down to 125 105.6 pounds lost
JENNI-8yrsPostOP
on 3/31/11 9:53 am
When we go into starvation mode early out our body tries to "save" us from what it assumes is starvation coming up so it pulls the (moisture) water out of our cells in our extremities to pool it around the core of the body protecting the organs. Newbies always get dry hands and feet - sometimes works it's way up arms and legs too. Drink more water as lotion won't do much.
Jen 9 yrs post op RNY
Joanne M.
on 3/31/11 10:06 am - VA
RNY on 03/16/11 with
Thanks.  That makes total sense.  Drink now.  Joanne :)

Melin71
on 3/31/11 11:07 am - LA
 I'm 4 weeks out and have the same problem.  Even though I'm religiously taking my vitamins and supplements, I'm having a difficult time getting anywhere near the amount of water in me that I used to pre-op.  I've noticed that I don't have to take baby sips quite like I did in the beginning, but it's still quite a change.  I have my grandma's hands!  lol!  Has me wondering if I'll lose all this weight only to look like a pile of crepe paper....so sexy! ;-)
 Melin
ANNI D.
on 3/31/11 10:14 am

I have extremely oily skin to the point where I washed with Dawn dish detergant for about 3-4 yeara before the surgery. It would make my skin dry, but that was o.k. with me. Then I had to start using chlorahexadine surgical scrub after the Dawn because of an immune issue with my skin. The first week my skin was beautiful, then my stomach and FACE got really dry. The next week my face was so dry I was putting my daughters prescription excema lotion and cetaphil on and it didnt make one difference. It was horrible. I found out I would rather have oily than dry skin....I think. I started drinking more bottled water with an add-in instead of sweetener loaded iced tea, and its almost all gone!! i guess it is the water

I only strive to be, the kind of person my dogs think I am!                               

Of the choices we are given, it's no choice at all....
                                             -Patty Griffin

Carla M.
on 3/31/11 12:40 pm
RNY on 02/21/11 with
I had dry skin for several weeks. It was actually sloughing off to the point where I had raw, irritated skin anywhere where my clothes rubbed. I was getting my fluids in, but my Vit D level was EXTREMELY low. They've changed me to a prescription Vit D and my skin is SOOO much better. The toxin theory is definitely a posibility too. I was just going by my own experience.

Most Active