Sounds yummi but is this good or bad for us??

lee12197
on 3/31/11 12:20 pm
RNY on 02/28/11 with
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/snacks/r/pbproteinballs.htm  The exact ratio of ingredients will depend a little on the kinds of protein powder and peanut butter you use, also taste. I used Designer Protein, French Vanilla flavor, for this basic recipe, but chocolate and other flavors work fine as well. If the peanut butter has more oil (natural peanut butters will vary quite a bit in the amount of oil), you'll probably need more protein powder. Also, the amount of sweetener is obviously to taste. Note that these balls are soft at room temperature so you can't throw them in a bag and expect that they will hold their shape. Ingredients:
  • 1 cup sugar-free peanut butter
  • 4 scoops (or 1 and 1/3 cups) whey protein powder -- most are low in carbs, but check -- any flavor
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • Artificial sweetener to taste, about 1-1½ cup sugar equivalent
Preparation: Put all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix all at once. A mixer works great for this, but a food processor would probably be fine as well, or just a spoon. Then roll into balls. If you like, roll in crushed nuts. I've mixed almond meal with powdered erythritol and that worked well as a coating.

For sweetener, I use the most concentrated liquid sucralose (Splenda). In the past, I made the mistake of trying to add too much liquid in the form of Da Vinci's syrups for flavoring. To my dismay, it is possible to turn the whole thing into a ropey, gluey mess. I never figured out what the chemical reaction was, but it happened to me more than once. On the other hand, protein powders are fine added to shakes, so it couldn't have been just the liquid. It must have been the exact combination of fat, protein and liquid. If any food chemists have an idea about what might have happened, let me know!

I think powdered erythritol would work as a sweetener with the chocolate flavor.

Makes approximately 16 balls about one inch in diameter.

Nutritional Information: Assuming zero-carb sweetener, each ball has 3 grams effective carbohydrate plus 1 gram fiber, 9 grams protein, and 118 calories.

ohioh
on 3/31/11 12:29 pm
RNY on 11/15/10 with
Yummy...thanks for the idea!!!

HW 270  SW 251   1st GW 170    CW 143       2nd GW 150
 1st GOAL REACHED  170  5/23/2011

2nd GOAL REACHED 150 8/8/2011
lee12197
on 3/31/11 12:35 pm
RNY on 02/28/11 with
So good choice for a snack if im going to have one and want summin diff?

siberiancat
on 4/1/11 3:28 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN
I would wait on adding peanut butter.  It is very high is calories and not much protein.  My dieticican considers peanut butter more of a fat than a protein.

You can do much better finding a snack higher in protein.  A baby bel light cheese has 50 calories 0 carbs and 6 gm protein.  Much better than 2 T of peanut butter.  It is also difficult to only eat 2 T peanut butter.

Right now and for the first year I would eat food high in protein, complex carbs (veggies, fruit, milk products, whole grains).  You need some healthy fat.

I try to have protein than has 1 gm protein for every 10 calories.  Just a "rule of thumb" I use for things that are "iffy".
 Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

Most Active
Recent Topics