RNY or VSG with PCOS

joghac
on 4/2/11 12:45 am - NY
Hello... I am a 30 year old woman with pcos and had the lap band in 2006.  I lost about 50 pounds, then gained it all back.  I am now looking to have surgery again.  In 2006, I was faced with the decision between RNY and the band.  I chose the band because I was scared of the RNY and all the risks associated with it.  Now, I am faced with the decision again.  I thought the sleeve would be my best bet so I wasnt as scared.  I know there are risks with the sleeve but there doesnt seem to be as many.  I do not want to have another surgery again if I make the wrong decision again.  My surgeon thinks RNY is my best bet because of the PCOS.  I want to succeed thats my bottom line.  Now, I also want to have a baby soon (can wait two years).  I am scared of the malnutrition.  I dont want to die.  If faced with the choice of dying soon because of surgery, or dying slowly because of my weight I would choose no surgery.  Id rather be fat than die.  This is such a terrible way to think, what is my problem???  I know the right decision is to go with RNY but I am so damn scared.  I feel that the VSG is a cop out again and I wont be successful AGAIN.  I know I am going on and on but I need to see anyone else's opinion.  IF you have PCOS, if you were faced with this decision etc... Help me get my thoughts in order!
melissa22886
on 4/2/11 12:54 am
i was up in the air about band and RNY for my PCOS. i had never considered VSG, i have thought about it and read up on it but never considered it. i don't know anyone personally who has had it i just know people with RNY and band and that's why i feel more comfortable choosing between those two. your decision needs to be what's best for you. there are pros and cons of both vsg and rny. but for me, struggling with PCOS which makes me miserable, i chose the RNY. as far as pregnancy goes my cousin had RNY and got pregnant 2? years later. she did fine with it no malnutrition and the baby was perfectly healthy because she kept up with her vitamins. as long as you follow everything you will be fine. i am terrified of RNY and i have surgery in 10 days. in the end it's your decision and you need to do what's best for you. research everything and weigh out the pros and cons. good luck to you
tnchickenfeathers
on 4/2/11 1:15 am - Savannah, TN
Hi I had RNY April 29th 2010 best thing I have ever done for myself.I had PCOS before surgery and the day of surgery I started and have been regular ever since.

Holly O.
on 4/2/11 1:36 am - FL
I too had the lapband 4 yearsago................not successful either............currently looking into having the RNY.  It is an awful feeling to be a failure with weight loss surgery!!  Talk to your dr. and decide what is best for you.  Then make your decision wth confidence and no rerets.  I don't regret the lapband, just diappointed..........I wanted to try it to make sure in my heart that I did everything I could with minimal evasive surgery.  Unfortunately t didn't work for me!! 
brightiz69
on 4/2/11 4:21 am - California City, CA
Hello, I can so relate to your feelings. I have had PCOS since my early 20's and was a infertility patient for 18 months. I had RNY 12/11/2010 and it was the best decision I ever made. I was scared to death of it. Now I feel better than I ever have and I am loving every minute of it. I am regular now in every aspect and I just keep on my vitamins and make sure I get my fluids in. Good Luck in your decision.

I am so happy !!!!!!!! I am happy with the progress I am making

TamaraL
on 4/2/11 5:14 am
I had lap band in January 2009 and had PCOS.  I lost 54 pounds with the band.  I revised to the bypass. 

Here is why.  PCOS is really the pre curser to diabetes.  RNY cures diabetes in about 70-80% of people. 

With the sleeve you get restriction from the beginning but it is mainly going to work if you are a volume eater.  If you feel you need more help and eat sweets or high fat foods you may need the malabsorption with the RNY.

Both surgeries work differently.  Just do your research and talk to your physician more about your concerns.   I met with a psychologist several times because they wanted to make sure I knew what I was getting into with the RNY surgery.  I was totally against the bypass because I was worried about weight gain after I got to goal.

I wish I had had the bypass first.

Tamara

AliSarah
on 4/2/11 5:38 am
I don't think the VSG is a copout in any way. You need to choose the surgery you think will work best for your lifestyle, your eating style, and you personally! We have all got opinions on this for sure, but only you can choose what is going to be best for you.

I have PCOS as well, but I chose the surgery that was right for me as whole not just for me as a PCOS sufferer. I would have chosen a different surgery if it fit my lifestyle better but the RNY fit my lifestyle best, and has given me relief for all my comorbities so far!! :D

Huggles!!
~Sarah~
 HW 316/ SW 264/ CW 187/ GW 158  
bananasoup
on 4/3/11 12:17 pm - FL
I'm about 3 months out from RNY and had it mostly because of the PCOS. It's been great. I've had 2 periods since the surgery already and I usually had that many in a year. Pregnancy in the past required fertility treatment but was successful. My skin is clearer and less oily and the hair growth is slowing. I'm also off the Metformin. I chose RNY because of the studies I found re PCOS and RNY. There isn't much data re PCOS with VSG. You might check this one out: http://my.clevelandclinic.org/Documents/Bariatric_Surgery/PC OS.pdf

As the mother of 2 little boys I was very scared about the possibility of dying from the surgery - but I felt certain my worsening health problems would leave them orphans as well. Personally I am thrilled with the surgery but everyone has to make their own decisions as there are risks. My heart was beginning to enlarge and I was having severe arrythmia problems - both of which have already improved. And my blood pressure is normal. I watched my father consider bariatric surgery and put it off for ten years until his health problems were irreversible. Good luck!

HW/CW/GW    252/195/135
Recent Topics