what was your pre op diet?

melissa22886
on 4/3/11 8:12 am
i understand each doctor is different as far as their pre op "liver shrinking diet". what was yours like? and how long was it?

mine is either 1 2 or 3 protein shakes per day that consist of 25g of protein, under 5g of sugar and under 2g of fat.

or, we can replace 1 2 or all of our protein shakes with 3oz of protein(chicken, turkey, certain fishes) and 8oz of vegetables(carrots, broccolli, leafy greans, celery, cabbage, zucchini, mushrooms, tomatos, brussel sprouts,  and others).

and things that we can have at any time whether it be for dipping, snacking, or added to our meals are SF jello, SF popsicles, horseradish, non fat sour cream, non fat mayo, non fat cream cheese, spices, mustard, vinegar, molly mcbutter/butterbuds

my pre op diet is 14 days but the day before surgery is only clear liquids. i will probably do this for 2 days to make sure everything is cleared out

how does this plan actually help shrink the liver...is it the lack of fat/carbs/sugars or just being on a low calorie diet?
happyhealing
on 4/3/11 8:14 am
Didnt have one, just no food the day before.
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/3/11 8:18 am - OH
She SUGGESTED two weeks of low fat, low sugar -- as a way to transition away from the fat and sugar and (probably to do some liver shrinking, too) -- but since I was having open surgery, the only required pre-op diet was liquids only the full day before sugery and nothing after midnight the day of surgery. 

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/3/11 8:19 am - OH
Any kind of low fat diet helps shrink the liver.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Price S.
on 4/3/11 8:26 am - Mills River, NC
4 weeks.  5 optifast shakes a day, one small food meal (protein and veggies only).  It got boring but it was very useful in preparing for the next few months.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Lori P.
on 4/3/11 8:30 am - Kenosha, WI
No diet before....just liquids the day before.

SW 212 / Goal 130 / Current 130

kimndan18
on 4/3/11 8:36 am - IA
Nurse told me a 600 calorie diet for 2 weeks, I did it for 3 days, saw surgeon for pre op check and he said to stop it and do around 1000-1200 cal low fat, said my liver wasn't big to start with so that would be all I needed, and then nothing after midnight the night of the surgery

woey33
on 4/3/11 9:16 am - kalamazoo, MI
My pre-op diet is (I am on day 12) is 6 protein drinks a day and only clear liquids like broth, crystal ligh****er sobie water, sf popscicles sf jello and thn if I'm getting all 6 of my protein shakes in I can have 1 cup of strained cream soup or 1/2 cup of pudding or 1/2 cup of hot cereal or a sf yougurt. Thats it! I have lost 12lbs in 12 days! It was very hard the first 3 days but after tht is has been pretty easy!!!

Best wishes
Joey
RNY 4-5-11
nfarris79
on 4/3/11 10:52 am - Germantown, MD
 2 pre-op diets: 6 months of low carb with one meal replacement shake per day (but additional protein drinks thru the day), then 2 weeks of liquids only (broth, s/f jello, s/f ice pops, protein shakes of 70gms total, clear s/f liquids, total 700-1000 cals). On day 6 of the liquid diet. Not going insane anymore but this still is the hardest diet ever. Hating all solid foods and those who eat them.

My liver was pretty fatty but I'm not sure what the mechanism for shrinking the liver is on this liquid diet. Between the protein and not having to process solids.... but I vaguely recall something about glycol being stored in the liver and it's the first to get used up when the body needs energy.

2 days before I'll do a bowel prep (fun!) then clear liquids only day before. I'm not entirely sure what else could possibly come out at this point.... 

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

Most Active
Recent Topics