Confused

jennytmitch
on 4/8/11 6:34 am - NC
I went for my results/ scheduling appointment yesterday and went over all the paperwork and what to expect the first week after surgery.  My surgeon's office recommends Bariatric Fusion vitamins.  I have the paperwork and they say that is all I will need to take.  NO other supplements.  I thought we needed to take extra Calcium and Iron and Vitamin D and a B12 supplement too?

Lady Lithia
on 4/8/11 6:40 am
Do they sell the fusion in their office?

If so it is really just a product placement, and after reading their label, I'd suggest they are a poor choice. (better than some, but not what you want)

And yes, you need sublingual B12, you need Calcium Citrate (1500 mg, not sure if they have a combinationi of citrate and carbonate) .... Vitamin D (dry) and Iron

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

severman
on 4/8/11 6:41 am - Indianapolis, IN
 I would double check what the bariatric fusion vitamins include.  I would also double check with your surgeon's office because my program recommends all the above and you aren't supposed to take certain vitamins together or you won't absorb them.  Here's what my program recommends:

Multivitamin 2 tablets per day take at bedtime
Calcium citrate- brand name Citracal Plus 2 tablets or 500mg after each meal.  Remember do not combine with iron or multivitamin.
B-Complex- Super B, B100, or B50, 1 tablet anytime
Vitamin B12 shot 1000 mcg each month

Then due to deficiencies I also take 60 mg ferrous gluconate each day, vitamin A 10000 IU each day, and B12 shot twice a month.

Hope this helps.

Stephanie E
Lady Lithia
on 4/8/11 6:53 am

Couple questions comments...

I've heard that taking the multivitamins should be done separately, one in the morning and one at night.

Also, double check the Citracal Plus.... there's at least one citracal that has calcium carbonate in addition to calcium citrate. Make sure that the Plus isn't the one that has that.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

poet_kelly
on 4/8/11 7:28 am - OH
They are giving you bad advice.

The ASMBS says we need 200% of the RDA of things and if you take four BF you only get 100% of many things.  

Four only gives you 1200 mg calcium, too, and some of that is carbonate so you won't absorb it.

Yes, we need B12.  They have B12 but we don't absorb B12 that we swallow.  We need the sublingual, patch, shot or nasal spray.

Personally, I'd stick with the ASMBS recommendations.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 263 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 308 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 328 views