Body Image

shoppingrl37
on 4/9/11 5:21 am - NC
I have gotten lots of help on this site and I thank  everyone for it.  I'm having an issue with my body image.  I've always been the "Big" girl. I'm 8 months post op and I've lost about 100 lbs. Everyone tells me I look great but I don't see what they see. When I look in the mirror I still see the "Big" girl.  I don't feel comfortable going into a normal size clothing store even though I  can  wear a med to lg.  Is this normal?  Does anyone else have this problem?  Will it ever go away?

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/9/11 5:44 am - OH
A lot of people struggle with this.  It takes the brain a while to catch up to the new body, especailly for people who have been obese for their entire lives or for many years.  Yes, eventually your brain WILL catch up, but it takes longer for some than others.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

paranoidmother21
on 4/9/11 5:44 am - Lake Zurich, IL
Very typical. You'll find that many of us here have that issue.

I don't know when it goes away - I suspect for some of us, it really doesn't. I hope it does for you.
Rebecca
Circumferential LBL, anchor TT, BL/BR, brachioplasty 12-16-10 Drs. Howard and Gutowski

Thigh lift 3-24-11, Drs. Howard and Gutowski again!
Height 5' 5".  Start point 254.  DH's goal: 154.  My guess: 144.  Insurance goal: 134.  Currently bouncing around 130-135.

Hope V.
on 4/9/11 6:36 am - MN
I still have a pair of pants that I wore pre op. so when my the mirror and the brain do not agree I take a look at them instant happiness. If you dont have an old pair grab one at the thrift store for a couple bucks its well worth it

Andy Lafferty
on 4/10/11 2:40 am - Baltimore, MD
 I understand what you are talking about. I am going through the same thing. Ive lost almost 300 lbs and still feel Fat. Im waiting for my brain to catch up . I know it will eventually.  
The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

Most Active
Recent Topics