is it painful

Weighting2Bskinny
on 4/17/11 9:06 am
I am thinking about getting wls. I dont know really if I would want gastric bypass or lap band. DOes bypass feel extremely painful? I have had my gallbladder out. Is it way worse than that?
inmyownskin
on 4/17/11 9:10 am - Westbury, NY
I also had my gallbladder out prior to having a lap-band I felt the pain waking up from the gallbladder was worst. But I will say everyone experiences pain differently and it is a possibility that the pain meds wore off before I woke up.  However, now I am currently looking to get a revision to gastric bypass.  I am very unhappy with the lap-band.
Lori P.
on 4/17/11 9:15 am - Kenosha, WI
Everyone is different.  I have had several surgeries...gallbladder and hysterectomy with cystocele and rectocele rapair along with  bladder sling were both a cake walk......back surgery and RNY were pretty awful.   That said, I lived and I am below goal and almost 100lbs down. 

SW 212 / Goal 130 / Current 130

susyq56
on 4/17/11 12:20 pm - mesa, AZ
 did you get open that is what I am having tomorrow..was it that bad??

Lori P.
on 4/17/11 12:51 pm - Kenosha, WI
MIne was lap.  I dont know why I had so much pain.  Frankly, I did not expect it to be so bad....I really thought it would similar to the galbladder surgery.....and after that one I was on a cruise in the carribean just a couple of days after surgury....I felt fine!   It was really the larger incision on the left where the scope is placed that gave me the most trouble.....i kept having spasms in the muscle there.    I usually have a pretty high tolerence, but not for the RNY!   

Everyone has such a different expereince though.  You may sail through just fine with very little pain lke so many others have. 

SW 212 / Goal 130 / Current 130

susyq56
on 4/17/11 1:43 pm - mesa, AZ
 I had open gallbladder back in the 80's that is why he is doing open in case of scar tissue from that old scar..Oh well Im in God's hands tomorrow..thanks for answering ...I had 4 c-sections a knee replacement and major back surgery last summer I think I will survive..thanks again.
Lady Lithia
on 4/17/11 9:34 am
Compared to my gallbladder being removed, RNY was a walk in the park.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

Lady Lithia
on 4/17/11 11:38 am
I must also clarify.... my GB surgery was emergency, with complications, two nights in hospital, and I was VERY sick for a long time afterwards due to complications.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

SweetGatorGirl
on 4/18/11 3:24 am - Gainesville, FL
Same here, Lady Lithia!  My gallbladder was very painful.  I woke up screaming and then they sent me home.  OMG, thought I would die!!!  RNY wasn't bad at all.  I will insert this disclaimer...these results may not be typical...everyone reacts differently to each surgery.
HW 252/SW 243/GW 135/CW 146                

(deactivated member)
on 4/17/11 9:51 am - SC
I have to agree with Lady Lithia.  Compared to my gallbladder my RNY was a walk in the park.  If you're in extreme pain afterwards, tell your nurse!  That's what they are there for.  The hospital here managed my pain so much more effectively than the hospital I had my gallbladder removed at.   I'm only 5 days out, but the recovery at home has been much easier with the RNY than it was with my gallbladder.  I've had NO issues drinking liquids or protein.  I'm a little sore, but that's mainly due to my lifting my daughter when I shouldn't of.  I've had no painful "food" experiences yet.  I am learning easily that when I start to feel full I need to stop.  Really this has been a walk in the park.  Of course I ended up in the hospital with complications 4 days after my GB as well.  

Compared to my c-section which is one large incision.  This is easier.  I breastfed a newborn whiel recovering from that and the pain was tolerable then.  The pain is better now than it was during that. 

The choice between the LapBand and RNY is purely yours.  I didn't go that route because I personally know 5 people revising from the Band to the RNY or Sleeve because they didn't lose much if anything.  Some even gained on the band.  I also hated the idea of having a port under my skin and this foreign object wrapped around my stomach.  What if it slipped?  What if it eroded into my stomach?  The more I thought about it the more I realized the band was most emphatically not for me.  I would do my RNY again right now given the chance.  I know I'm still fresh post-op but that should give you some idea of how the pain is.  I went for a 2 mile walk today with my family and although I was exhausted towards the end I felt great.  
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 370 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 337 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 140 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 212 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 122 views
Recent Topics