Horror stories

Jodi H.
on 4/18/11 11:54 am - Apache Junction, AZ
So I'm hearing alot of stories from friends about how they know "so-and-so" that had this same surgery & they were an emotional mess afterwards.  I'm praying this doesn't happen to me & if it does it's only for a VERY short period of time.  Has anyone else gone through this & if so how long before you snapped out of it?

Jodi ** HW: 240 / CW: 221 / GW: 135
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/18/11 12:01 pm - OH
I had some post-op depression, but I was already suffering from PTSD and some mild depression before surgery.  When my depression did not improve by the second month, my PCP prescribed an anti-depressant that I took for several months.

I don't know of many people that ended up "an emotional mess", but some post-op depression is common, and, yes, it usually passes quickly.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Lori P.
on 4/18/11 12:03 pm - Kenosha, WI
What kind of "emotional mess"....did they get more specific then that?

Some people have trouble coping when they lose the ability to pacify themselves wth food.  Some get a little nutty when they suddenly find themselves attractive to others.  Most of us just find ways to cope with the expected changes and enjoy the ride.

SW 212 / Goal 130 / Current 130

Lady Lithia
on 4/18/11 12:05 pm
I had about a 10 minute crying jag while in the hospital.....another 5 minute crying jag about four weeks into my recovery....I was a bit extra sensitive to criticism for about six months (but luckily don't get criticized much) and that was as emotional as it was for me.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

Jodi H.
on 4/18/11 12:06 pm - Apache Junction, AZ

All they've said is that they got VERY depressed.  I already take a small amount of antidepressants but most of the depression is due to my weight.  The other part is that I have a job that I absolutely cannot stand.  Fortunately both situations are going to be coming to an end soon though.

Holly O.
on 4/18/11 12:42 pm - FL
Do what is best for you!!!  -Holly
   Holly                                      
Laura T.
on 4/18/11 12:06 pm - Carthage, NC
I had nothing like that... I'm so thankful I had this done. Life has only gotten better (well, after the first week) LOL...that was painful. 
:)

Laura T
Whether therefore ye eat or drink, do all to the glory of God.  

Jodi H.
on 4/18/11 12:10 pm - Apache Junction, AZ
Thank you to all of you for the reassurance!  If this is the worst of it than I don't think I'll have any problems getting past it.

shoven21187
on 4/18/11 12:23 pm - Saint Paul, MN
 My first week post op I was an emotional mess. But then, it just stopped. One day I faced the fact that there is no going back so why bother even worrying about it and just move forward. It was completely gone by the end of that first week. I am a little more emotionally sensitive, but not depressed. I cry about silly things on tv or get a little more upset when someone is being critical of me. But at the same time I am single and living alone so doing all of this I would imagine is a little bit harder with no one at home to lean on...

AliSarah
on 4/18/11 5:14 pm
I had 2 crying incidents where I busted out into tears for about 15 minutes and then it stopped. They were 2 days apart from each other but happened at the same time, 7:45 pm. So, I cried until 8 and then I was fine. It was weird, but I just reminded myself that it was normal and that it would pass. It was and it did!!

Huggles!!
~Sarah~
 HW 316/ SW 264/ CW 187/ GW 158  
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 384 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 357 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 322 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 151 views