New to OH and my surgery is tomorrow. First time ever having surgery.

63jewells
on 4/18/11 1:49 am - WA
I have been recieving so much valuable information and much needed encouragement from this website.  I just wish I knew what I was doing wrong because my sugery date still has not posted in upcoming surgeries and it is scheduled for tomorrow morning.  Also, I have tried to respond to posts and send friend requests but I have not seen my responses posted or recieved any replies 

I just want to share that this week as the time of my surgery approachs I have been switching back and forth from being scared and nervous questioning if I am doing the right thing..and then feeling confident that all will go well for me.   This surely is a rollercoaster ride for me.  I have never had surgery or any other major medical problems before.  During this process preparing for surgery I did learn that I am borderline diabetic and hypertesion and have moderate sleep apnea.  This process has helped me focus on my health.   When they weighed me at my first appointment I was absolutely shocked to see that my wieght had climbed to 395!!  That got my attention quick!  My wieght is now 350.  I have lost 45 pounds since December.  I am happy about that but I have so far to still to go.

As I read through these posts it appears that for the most part everybody has done so well.   Has anyone had complications?  
j_brooke
on 4/18/11 2:01 am - TX
GOOD LUCK to you! I also question the very same things you are! I cannot imagine the excitement, nervousness that you have right now! All will go just fine you have to trust that! I do not have a date yet, but I hope to have one very soon! I am weighing in at 275 right now so io know deep down I have no other options. Please post and let us know how you are doing! This website is soooooo much help & support! Is the liquid diet hard to do before surgery?
63jewells
on 4/18/11 2:21 am - WA
My surgeon required me to do a skim milk only diet with water, vi****er and decaf tea/coffee for my liquids.....but meals where only skim milk.  He required me to do this diet for 4 weeks.  It was very difficult at first.  The days that I walked were much easier.  I did slip few times as I was still preparing all the meals for my family and that was hard...but for the most part I was faithful to it and lost 20 pounds in the first three weeks.  What helped the most was walking and staying busy with other things.
(deactivated member)
on 4/18/11 2:04 am - Santa Cruz, CA
Congratulations on your success! 

If by complications you mean "life-threatening problems", there are some people who have, yes.  However, these are very few and far between.  Most people just learn as they go, have some issues with eating enough or getting into the supplementation, and enjoy not having to suffer from the morbid obesity any more.

You will do well, I'm sure.  Have faith in your surgeon and the team, and realize that they want you to have a successful outcome too.

Good luck!
63jewells
on 4/18/11 2:29 am - WA
Thank you so much for your response.  It's true that I can calm my fears by remembering my surgeon knows what he is doing and although he has warned me of possible risks...I know that he would not recommend this for me if the risk was too great.   My sugeon and his team are some of the best...Center of Excellence...and I do have complete confidence in them. 

You explanation helped me very much!
katheek
on 4/18/11 2:50 am - Cosmopolis, WA
Glad to hear that you have the utmost respect for your surgeon and his/her team.  Curious who is your surgeon?  I had RNY on 3/8/11 and I had Dr.Jeffrey Hunter with Virginia Mason.

We are both Washingtonians.....

KATHEE K

63jewells
on 4/18/11 3:56 am - WA
My surgeon is Dr. Jay Jan he works with Dr. Cagle and Dr. Dally and the rest of the WLS surgery team...dietician, nurse ect...   at SW Washington Center for Wieght Management.

How did your surgery go?   How is your recovery going?
j_brooke
on 4/18/11 2:27 am - TX
Oh my goodness, 4 weeks...wow! I have heard that but Im not sure what my requirements will be. I have heard that is the hardest part especially when you love food like I do. I also agree with the previous post, I think complications are very few. Just take it slow and take care of yourself first until you heal. And follow every mi-nute instruction from your physician and Im sure you will do GREAT!! Its not the surgery, its the aftercare, that you have to be very careful with.
abradley94
on 4/18/11 3:48 am - Brandon, FL
Hi, I had by surgery on 4/06/11. I nervous and scared as well. In fact, while being checked in the morning of my surgery I kept getting sick constantly. However, when they finally took my to the pre operating room, thankfully, there wasn't a whole lot of time in between there and when they move you to the operating room. Honestly, I don't remember much from that point on, until I woke up. Everything went well, there were no complications with the surgery. Through all of my fears it helped me to remember why I made this decision and how much better my life was going to be. I have no regrets.

Good luck!

63jewells
on 4/18/11 4:04 am - WA
Thank you so much for sharing that
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 345 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 214 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 375 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?