RNY @ age 68

sadielee
on 4/19/11 6:36 am
can someone tell me what the pre-op routine is for dr. margret  inman from Ind.  I'm just starting to wrap my mind around this whole process.  I went in to find out about the lap band and found out I was not a candidate for that and have opted for a RNY. I am 68, 4ft 10in'and 225# and anxious!!!!!  My BMI is 45.6 and have all the co-morbidities.   It seems like all the drs. have different diets,preps,etc.  Iwould just like some input on the dr. as I have not heard anything about her.  Has any one else my age had this surgery and if so how did it go?
johnsoca
on 4/19/11 7:08 am - Madison, AL
A coworker of mine had her RNY surgery at age 65 and has done great. She lost all the weight she wanted and has had brachioplasty (arm surgery) to reduce the hanging skin. She said that's the only part of her body that really bothered her after her weight loss. I also recently met a lady at my surgeon's office who was post-retirement when she had her RNY done. (I didn't ask her age.) She was also doing very well -- had lost most of her weight (she was at her 1 year appointment) and was walking 4-5 miles per day with her husband. She also said she was happy with how her body looked, except for her arms.

Good luck with your surgery!

Price S.
on 4/19/11 7:10 am, edited 4/19/11 7:16 am - Mills River, NC
I was 61, 4'11", 220 at my highest. My local Dr wouldn't do RNY because of my age. But my insurance wouldn't accept him anyway since they required a Center of Execellance. The group I ended up with was 1.5 hr away but they didn't get scared off by my age.
I have done great. Had no complications and have recovered from most of my co-morbidities.
I know nothing about your specific Dr. but good luck.
There is a forum for 50 and over on this site that you might want to check also.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Carol M.
on 4/19/11 9:16 am - TX
As far as age my surgeon, at a center of excellence, takes patients up to 70 years old. With lifespans increasing, these patients will have many years of better health.  And after all, 60 is the new 40! LOL
Carol , East Texas
SharByTheSea
on 4/19/11 9:32 am
I am almost 69, and having revision surgery-LapBand to RNY in 7 days.
I have not heard about your Dr, but have great faith in mine, and that is the key to success on this journey.....listen to your Dr, follow his instructions and remember "we're not getting older...we're getting better"

LapBand: 10/2004
RealizeBand: 02/2009
Revision: LapBand/RNY 04/26/2011
Most Active
Recent Topics