Pouch Size, bypass length????

toobigjca
on 4/20/11 1:19 am - VA
Lap Band on 05/17/11 with
Did your surgeon allow you to customize your pouch and bypass length?

I would like a bigger pouch (2 eggs size instead of 1) and shorter bypass length (6in to a foot instead of feet long).

Just curious.
_Donna_
on 4/20/11 1:47 am, edited 4/20/11 1:48 am
hmmm
uh, really?
SugarGrl
on 4/20/11 2:54 am
I didn't even ask, I left it up to him as he was the professional.

WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER!  LET'S GET HEALTHY!     STARTING WEIGHT 211.8, SURGERY 23 MAR 11; ONEDERLAND 30 MAR 11 199.2                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    

nomoresugar
on 4/20/11 2:56 am
No.  the pouch is small to support restrictions in portion sizes.  the remaining perameters are established standards.  I doubt a surgeon with a bariatric practice would allow customization.
DisneyLover
on 4/20/11 3:23 am - WI
If you want a bigger pouch, why not have the sleeve done?  And the shorter your limb the less malabsorption you will have.  I think. :)

And like others said, the surgeons go by standards, not customization.

Sarah

toobigjca
on 4/20/11 3:32 am - VA
I know it can be done because Ive met people who have asked.  Like in my case it looks like my insurance is just going to be a PIA and not allow me to get a vsg (they give all VSGers a problem if you aren't 50 bmi). So Insurance will give me a bypass.

My doc may not give me a bigger pouch but will shorten the bypass length.

Just wondering what others had done.
curvaceousdiva
on 4/20/11 3:35 am - Hyattsville, MD
mine is the size of a walnut/medicine cup or 30ccs as he told me and 150 (not sure if that's inches or cm
Babygirl got her surgery March 3rd...     She's from 339 to 200 as of 6/14/2012.. SOO proud of my bigbabygirl                                                                   
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/20/11 5:14 am - OH
No.  

Why would you want a larger pouch initially since the size of the pou*****reases over time anyway?  And why do you care about the length of the bypass since even a 6-12 inch bypass will still result in permanent vitamin malabsorption and your body will oevrcome the calorie and fat malabsorption on its own after 12-18 months?  And either way, you lose the pyloric valve.  I don't understand what you're trying to accomplish.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

toobigjca
on 4/20/11 5:24 am - VA
IM trying to avoid losing too much weight.  Yeah call me crazy but Im 6ft 7in tall and don't want to end up weighing 200 lbs and looking like a cancer patient the rest of my life.  I only want to lose 75-100 lbs and have been advised that the shorter the bypass length most likely I will lose less.
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/20/11 6:44 am - OH
You might want to contact Tony H. (username "ToyzRUsKid1976") and talk to him about his experience with RNY.  He is even taller (but did need to lose more weight than you), but is just 2 years out with a somewhat bigger pouch (because of his size) but normal bypass length and is struggling with being able to eat a lot of food at one time and with some regain.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 366 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 284 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 244 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 309 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 144 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?