NSV, very excited about it!!

mandajolyn
on 4/20/11 8:20 am - Tallahassee, FL
For the first time in 12 years my pant size starts with a 1 !!! I wasn't expecting it but wanted to see how close I was to a size 18 fitting and was shocked that they actually fit comfortably! In the beginning I wasn't sure I'd even make it to an 18, and thought if I did it wouldn't be this soon. From a size 34 to an 18 it's exciting to finally start feeling comfortable with my body and be able to live life again!
"Be present for your journey, get to know who you really are and then be your authentic self with NO apologies"
You can follow my journey at mandaschange.blogspot.com
pregnancy calendar

teresarenea
on 4/20/11 8:33 am - KY
this is so great  .....congrats
Teresa            
DeeNadj
on 4/20/11 8:37 am - Malmstrom AFB, MT
Good for you!

I just went shopping for the first time Monday night, and realized that I fit into size 18 pants in a "regular" store - like Target or Walmart, NOT a plus-sized store like Avenue or Lane Bryant. I used to HATE how all the stores' sizes seem to mean different things - like getting sz 18 jeans at Avenue, feeling pretty good about that and going to get sz 18 jeans at walmart and leaving the store CRYING because nothing came NEAR fitting me. It got to the point where I really have NO CLUE what size I was wearing pre-surgery. So I know I've lost 35lbs and a lot of inches, but I don't really know how many SIZES I've lost.

Again, congratulations. Someone who hasn't walked in our shoes just won't understand how fantastic this feeling is. I'm so proud of you!
Dee
RNY March 21, 2011!! I'm feeling great!!
Busy Mommy of 4, Proud USAF Wife, Quilter, and TRIATHLETE!!               
mandajolyn
on 4/20/11 9:22 am - Tallahassee, FL
It really is crazy how different brands and stores size things differently! It makes getting things that fit right more difficult! It is nice to be able to go into Wal mart or Target and find things that fit. I went to Ross today to find a dress for my brother's graduation and for the first time I felt comfortable in a dress and it didn't look like I was wearing a sheet of cloth.
"Be present for your journey, get to know who you really are and then be your authentic self with NO apologies"
pregnancy calendar

DeeNadj
on 4/20/11 11:33 am - Malmstrom AFB, MT
My Mother used to say when she needed a new dress, she'd have to go see Omar. This would naturally lead to someone unsuspecting asking, "Omar who?"

Omar, the tent maker!

Sorry. It was funny back then.
Dee
mandajolyn
on 4/20/11 11:43 am - Tallahassee, FL
LOL, I have a before picture of me in a dress and I cringe when I see it. When I got married I was at my heaviest and I wore a skirt and a top because I couldn't find a dress that fit. It does so much for our self esteem when shopping for clothing becomes easier and not such a challenge that leaves you in tears because you can't find something that fits and the clothes that do are so expensive and not flattering at all!
pregnancy calendar

DeeNadj
on 4/20/11 12:36 pm - Malmstrom AFB, MT

First off, A LOT of wedding attire is skirt / top now, just for the sake being able to get EXACTLY the style combination you want. So I'm sure no one (except you) thought twice about the fact that you were wearing a skirt/top instead of a dress for that reason. Other than that, I hope you had the EXACT ceremony you wanted and I'm sure it was beautiful if you did. I have begged off from a few weddings because of my weight. Specifically because of how hard to find / expensive it would be for my attire. I can sew! I sew clothing, quilts, purses, whatever, and I was TERRIFIED to even MEASURE myself to make my own formal gown! I could NEVER have been measured by a seamstress. A 180lb friend of mine was charged for TWO dresses when she was in her sister's wedding - I weighed A LOT more than 180! My husband is senior enlisted the military, and has mentored a LOT of younger troops - we get A LOT of invitations to attend or even BE attendents in weddings and other events. He's in perfect shape. I'm obviously not. He went to a lot of things alone. :( But I'm changing that.

I just don't have the CONFIDENCE that I see a lot of other Lane B and Avenue customers have. As I got heavier, I just COULD NOT wear trendy little skinny jeans and tops. I didn't want to see my fat arms and gut, so I didn't think anybody else did, either! I know a lot of the ladies I see are younger than me, and probably DO have more confidence because they are younger, cuter, etc. I also remember a time when my mother was first shopping for plus size clothes (Lane B was in business, but kind of far away; we had a couple of local mom & pop boutique-styled shops) and plus sized equalled UGLY. Nothing fashionable. Knit, shapeless, black or other dark colors, wash and throw away tents. So I'm glad someone finally acknowleged that plus size women are now the MAJORITY, and we are willing to $PEND on DECENT clothing. Can we at least GET what we're (willing to) pay for?!

I got some jeans at Avenue and they did fine for about a week. Then they started wearing, and a few of the belt loops broke when I pulled them up. Because we're heavy it's okay to JACK us on the quality of the clothing we wear? Thanks a lot, jerks!

Dee
mandajolyn
on 4/21/11 5:09 am - Tallahassee, FL
What I did wear at my wedding was beautiful. I didn't want to spend an obscene amount of money to have one custom made. The ceremony was beautiful but I was in pain and uncomfortable at my heaviest and that I wish I could re do because it was an amazing ceremony. There are pics on here of us at our wedding. I remember when plus size clothes were all very ugly, as if we didn't have enough attention on us let's add huge bright flowers in the wrong places on our clothing! I'm sure your self confidence will improve and you'll enjoy going to more events with your husband! I had to find a dress for my brother's graduation today and for the first time, I wasn't anxious about finding something flattereing and pretty!
pregnancy calendar

mandajolyn
on 4/20/11 9:25 am - Tallahassee, FL
Thank you! You're doing great yourself!
pregnancy calendar

kimndan18
on 4/20/11 9:02 am - IA
Congrats, can't wait to get there myself.  I too started in a 34w, am down to a 22/24 as of today, but would love to get into something that starts with a 1.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 6 replies · 91 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 369 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 368 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 309 views