This must be dumping????

hondar
on 4/20/11 8:04 am
I am about 3 months out and THINK I just experienced dumping, but am not sure exactly what happened.

I do know that for the first time since my surgery I made a fruit smoothie w/Greek yougurt, fresh peaches, fresh blueberries.  No added sugar...just the sugar in the fruit.

Well, about 20-30 minutes later I broke out in a sweat, started trembling, had to hit the bathroom and basically thought I was dying.  Really!  I also got very groggy/confused.  It really scared me because I thought my blood sugar was too low and I know that can be very dangerous.  I laid down and finally dosed offf and when I woke up felt much better.

Wow!  I have had the foamies a lot and they are pretty miserable, but NOTHING compared to this.  Could the sugar in the fruit caused this?

azreggie
on 4/20/11 8:12 am - Tucson, AZ
Yes, too much sugar in any form can be dangerous as you well know now.

Reggie

mandajolyn
on 4/20/11 8:24 am - Tallahassee, FL
Yep, that's the misery of dumping. Fruit has a good amount of sugar in it.
"Be present for your journey, get to know who you really are and then be your authentic self with NO apologies"
You can follow my journey at mandaschange.blogspot.com
pregnancy calendar

DeeNadj
on 4/20/11 8:26 am - Malmstrom AFB, MT
My killer fruit is fresh STRAWBERRIES! I can eat NSA canned fruit all day, and this gave me a false sense of security. I got some strawberries from the grocery and cut them up, I was so excited because they were HUGE and I LOVE strawberries, had them with some vanilla Greek yogurt... And was sick the rest of the day. I'm talking 1/4 cup TOTAL of fruit and yogurt, and I was sick for 9 hours. I think maybe the combination of fresh fruit and yogurt might be too much for me.

I don't dump - I go straight to foamies / vomiting, so in that sense, I consider you lucky. But I understand why you might not see it as "lucky"...
Dee
RNY March 21, 2011!! I'm feeling great!!
Busy Mommy of 4, Proud USAF Wife, Quilter, and TRIATHLETE!!               
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/20/11 8:33 am - OH
Unless the Greek yogurt had some fruit or other flavoring with sugar (even some of the vanilla ones have added sugar if you look at the ingredients!), you are apparently among the minority than can dump from fruit sugar.  (Sure glad I don't, because I *love* all the summer fruits that are about to come into season!)

Some people lose it further down the road, but not all... so eat fruit with caution.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

DeeNadj
on 4/20/11 8:53 am - Malmstrom AFB, MT
I didn't even THINK of this... I found plain Greek to be a little "sharp" for my tastes, so I tried the vanilla and it worked out fine (by itself). But I can see now that I was using the same nutritional information as the plain.

Do you guys eat Yoplait at all? I LOVED their Fr Vanilla pre-surgery, but I'm scared to eat it now. Can you put powdered sweetener in plain yogurt if it's too tart / tangy for you? Or do you ever put pure vanilla extract or vanilla bean into things?
Dee
RNY March 21, 2011!! I'm feeling great!!
Busy Mommy of 4, Proud USAF Wife, Quilter, and TRIATHLETE!!               
Lady Lithia
on 4/20/11 9:13 am
If I want sour cream, Greek yoghurt is awesome.

If I want sweet yoghurt and fruit, I add splenda to my greek yoghurt to sweeten it up a bit

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

flbierba
on 4/20/11 9:34 am - Kennesaw, GA
I use Greek yogurt with sugar-free pancake syrup in it.  Mix it up well, and it is delicious.  It doesn't make me dump.  I also add ground flax seeds to the mixture.  I'm 22 months out, and have lost 84 pounds. 
hondar
on 4/20/11 10:16 am
I use the Torino's SF syrup in Greek yogurt and have never had any problem.  (Peach is my favorite!) I've even put in a few pieces of strawberry, bananaor blueberry.

I guess using all three in the smoothie was the culprit.  I will NEVER do that again.  Still don't feel right and that was hours ago.
siberiancat
on 4/20/11 8:33 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN
When you add the sugars from fruit and yogurt -  your small intestines and blood are hit with a high sugar load pretty quickly.

Got to count all the carbs, it can add up quickly.
 Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

Most Active
Recent Topics