Calves hurt

Kim26
on 4/20/11 7:03 pm
I had my RNY on Monday - everything is going great!  I had no calve pain in the hospital (they kept asking me) - I came home on Wednesday and Wednesday night my calves started hurting. I have stretched them, have been getting quite a bit of fluids, but am concerned.  I Googled it and there is talk of a blood clot. They sent me home with shots to give myself of blood thinner - 2 times per day for 10 days.  Is the pain the calf normal?

“We must all suffer from one of two pains: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret. The difference is discipline weighs ounces, while regret weighs tons.? - Jim Rohn   
"In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure." - Bill Cosby

(17 lbs lost pre-op)
Dee2011
on 4/20/11 8:39 pm - PA
Call your surgeon. Hurting calves can be a sign of blood clots.  are you walking? 
qnmimi
on 4/20/11 9:27 pm - Cottage Grove, MN
I agree with Dee...if you are this soon after surgery, you couldn't have done anything strenuous to cause this. Inactivity can cause muscle aching, but better to have it checked out. You are already on blood thinners, so you may not see a change in your medications, but they might want to closely observe you if tests come back positive for a DVT(blood clot...medical speak for deep vein thrombosis=clot) I hope you recover without any more problems.

lynnc99
on 4/20/11 10:16 pm
Let us know how you are! And yes, get to the doctor. They will check your clotting factors and probably do a doppler to assess you for blood clots. Nothing to mess around with! And look at it this way - if it's nothing serious, they can RULE OUT the clots and put your mind at ease!
Kim26
on 4/21/11 12:16 am, edited 4/21/11 12:21 am
Thank you!   I have a call into the surgeon's office, just waiting on a call back. I have been walking, but not a ton because it has been raining pretty much non-stop outside.  I have been doing laps around the house! :)  Yes, I would like them to check for a blood clot just to be on the safe side. Other than this, I am surprised how good I feel and am not having problems getting in the protein and water...thank goodness!

Thanks again for the words of wisdom, and I will keep you posted!
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/21/11 12:40 am - OH
It is very unlikely to be blood clots if you are taking the Lovenox and if BOTH your calves hurt .  Better safe than sorry, however.  If they had the SCDs on your legs post-op, your muscles may simply hurt because of the muscle contractions from that. 

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 339 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 373 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 337 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 249 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 104 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?