Searching for a Therapist

CheshireSmile
on 4/21/11 11:02 pm
I have a quick question regarding therapy.  How did everyone go about finding a therapist specific to WLS?  I have been to therapists before, but never had a "specific issue" to work on.  Did you search by "Food Addiction", "Binge Eating", "Eating Disorders"?  I guess I don't know what I am looking for.  Any input would be appreciated.  Thank you!!

"Comparison is the thief of all joy" - Dwight Edwards
Height:  6ft 
H.A.L.A B.
on 4/21/11 11:10 pm
Mine was recommended by my surgeon office.  She actually worked there. 
You may want to ask them.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/21/11 11:21 pm - OH
There are very few counselors who have specific training in dealing with pre- and post-WLS issues, and most who DO are working for WLS surgeons.  Ther ARE some of us, though!  I would start with anyone who lists expertise with either eating disorders or food addiction (those are usually the categories we are given on the list of specialities) and then call and ask if they have any experience working with clients who have had WLS.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

steve D.
on 4/22/11 1:41 am - West Fargo, ND
In our area, we have an Eating Disorders Instittute that works with our Bariatric Dept.  They treat all types of eating disorders.  We have a program called Next Steps, that is specifically designed for Post op patients.  You actually have to be 9 months post op before you can participate.

I encourage you to continue looking, or ask your surgeon.  It is critical to find the right thing for you to be successful.  Good Luck
Steve

CheshireSmile
on 4/22/11 2:16 am
All good ideas!  Thank you so much for your feedback!!

"Comparison is the thief of all joy" - Dwight Edwards
Height:  6ft 
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 467 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 426 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 441 views
Recent Topics