What should I expect?

jfab1978
on 4/22/11 3:11 am - CA
Hi!  I'm new here and have enjoyed reading (lurking) over everyone's posts.  You all have been really informative.  I've been involved with the process for RNY now since October of last year and I'm finally finished with the nutirition requirement and will be doing the psych evaluation on May 3rd.  Just wondering what did you talk about in yours.  What are they looking for?  Thanks for any feedback/advice that you can offer! 

Happy Friday!
-Jessika
Lady Lithia
on 4/22/11 3:14 am
Jessika

I just went in to the psych eval with the decision to be myself. If I had deep psychological issues that would keep me from being successful, I wanted to discuss them with a professional and get to where I  could be successful.

Be yourself, be honest.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

DisneyLover
on 4/22/11 3:23 am - WI
I had to fill out a questionare when I got there.  Almost like a test.  Then I sat and talked for about 45 mintues with the dr.  He asked specific questions like who is your support, what do you think will change about you with the surgery, why are you overweight.

It was interesting actually.

Sarah

msromagnola
on 4/22/11 3:29 am
Mine was a joke - just  hoop to jump through.  I took the MMPI - which is a personality test.  The therapist asked me one question about why I wanted to have the surgery.  Other than that he talked about his political viewpoints.  It was a process that I tolerated because I knew it was a requirement.  My insurance paid $300 for it.    I felt like a fraud letting my insurance pay for such a lack of services.  But then again, I think it is the requirement OF the insurance company for the WLS - so then I felt better about it.

I've thought many times of telling my surgeon of my experience.  I can't decide if it's worth it or not.

I would think a "real" one would want to know if you've thorougly investigated what you're choosing, understand the risks, understand the required committment, etc...

MSROMAGNOLA
Jenny_D
on 4/22/11 3:36 am - Canton, GA
Mine was the same! I filled out a ton of forms and then took the MMPI on the computer. She did ask me a few questions based on the form information I filled out, but she kept cutting me off when I was explaining my answers, saying, "let's move on". LOL.

And I assure you, I am "not" long-winded. She just couldn't care less.
Jenny         HW: 268 / SW: 254 / CW: 180 / GW: 140
First 5K: 4.21.2012 - Time: 34:45 - 2nd Place in age group
Second 5K: 6.2.2012 - Time 37:09

OceanBluzs
on 4/22/11 4:24 am - LA
Mine was very much the same. He wanted payment up front then would file with the insurance. Office visit took less than 15 minutes.

Carolyn

immafatgirl
on 4/22/11 4:46 pm - KY
i hate whn ppl do that. some professionals huh?
Barbie F.
on 4/23/11 12:29 am - ME
  lol mine was unreal.. i found out i was an alcoholic?  i dont drink or didnt drink but once a yr when went campin with family.. had maybe 2 drinks.. but .. was busy watchin my grandkid kids then i he had me so i was an depressed eater?  okk..  they hear what they want..  but i guess its something that we have to endure to get healthy..

nomoresugar
on 4/22/11 3:30 am
They are often (or should be) interested to know if you understand what your choice means.  That this is a tool, not a magic fix.  You may still have food issues after surgery that you will have to learn to deal with, or you will regain weight.   In my case, I was required to make contact with another counselor for 'later' in case I had food issues that I could not manage on my own.

don't worry, it isn't usually a big deal.
silly_sandy
on 4/22/11 4:02 am - IL
Sounds like these appointments are all over the place.  My psych was not afflilated with the bariatric center.  I had several appointments.  The first was over 2 hours for why was I there, etc...Then I had a three hour appt. that included the following tests:   fill in the blank, MMPI, and  an IQ test.  Had to return for the results.  That was about another hour.  I didn't really feel that this doctor was in any way knowledgeable regarding weight loss surgery.  In fact, she was trying very hard to talk me out of it!  I had it anyway :)  No way can I lose over 150 lbs on my own.

HW: 307  SW:  254  CW: 177 GW: 150
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 326 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 305 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 259 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 330 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 153 views